1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Truck Will Not Start

I need a little assistance diagnosing a problem.

This morning I started the truck (1982 D350 with 318 engine) and ran it for about 4 or 5 minutes to warm it up. I shut it down and changed the oil. Now, the truck will not start. I did not come near any wires during the oil change and therefore don't believe I pulled anything loose.

It cranks and cranks but no firing.

I sprayed Engine Starter into the carburetor, but still no firing.

The choke linkage moves when I press the gas peddle down and closes the choke. It is only about 50 degrees out today so I don't think the cold air has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

I have an Edelbrock 1406 Carburetor that is about 11 months old and replaced the spark plugs/wires and distributor cap in the past 6 months.

Would this be a carburetor/choke issue or ignition? I smell some gas so I don't think the fuel pump is out.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like you are not getting spark. could pull a spark plug wire and check. could also check over the wiring. something could have accidently got disconnected.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
pumbu
Professional

Thanks Crazzywolfie, I will be spending some time on the electronics tomorrow, checking for a spark at the coil, spark plugs and then the ECU. I have been looking at the test procedures in the manual. First I will check all the wires like you suggested.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do the carby models have a fuel pump relay?

If you do, then tap on it hard a few times and try again. IF you have one, it is the middle one under the hood in the rwo of three ralays on the driver side fender well. Right in front of the hood hinge.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

his truck would be a bit different. should have a mechanical fuel pump.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
pumbu
Professional

No spark with a plug and had a spark with the coil wire. Reconnected the coil wire and it started back up and runs like a charm. Thanks for the help! I was expecting a much more painful day.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pumbu
No spark with a plug and had a spark with the coil wire. Reconnected the coil wire and it started back up and runs like a charm. Thanks for the help! I was expecting a much more painful day.
I love it when that happens! Good find and another reason why we are all members here!

Quick Reply: Truck Will Not Start