1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Eliminate Rear Drum

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you plan on swapping the engine in this truck, and the transmission, but you won't fix the brakes?

What on earth is your logic behind this? If the truck isn't worth fixing the brakes, why would you swap the whole driveline?

Do you understand how backwards this could sound?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly why I would support an annual safety inspection requirement for licensing a vehicle.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 PM
oldiebutgoodie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
So you plan on swapping the engine in this truck, and the transmission, but you won't fix the brakes?

What on earth is your logic behind this? If the truck isn't worth fixing the brakes, why would you swap the whole driveline?

Do you understand how backwards this could sound?
just wait until it and slam on them front brakes...seeeyaaa wouldnt want to beeeyaaa....

Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

A mechanic I knew once asked me what the 3 most important parts of a vehicle were, I of course said....The amount of power the engine makes, what kind of shift kit is in the automatic transmission.....and the gear ratio in the rear end...

He informed me that in reality it's the tires, the brakes and the steering/front suspension stuff, and as unglamourous as all that is it is actually the right answer.

I once had a truck where the rear brakes didn't work.....I only found out because one of the front brake hoses broke as i was coming up to a red light, it was very lucky I didn't hit anything. Trust me just fix the brakes

Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 AM
clifford the red dodge
Smile

You can get a pair of decent drums at the junkyard for $20 bucks, a set of shoes at orielly or auto zone is another $20 bucks, not stopping in time can kill someone, possibly yourself, possibly your nieghbors child.

Man up to the $40 bucks and half a day it takes to FIX YOUR BRAKES!

Rear brakes are so cheap its stupid to not fix them.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 AM
clifford the red dodge

Also I am curious, when you jacked up the truck, started the engine, and put the truck in gear, did you chain it to the garage in case it came off the jacks? Cause that way if it came off the jacks because it was running and in gear it would pull down the garage and you could buy a bicycle with NO BRAKES with the insurance money!

Quick Reply: Eliminate Rear Drum