1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

deciding on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 AM
oldiebutgoodie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's hilarious, Young gun trying to school SEAL & CRAZYWOLFIE....that will be the day!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no such thing as an engine or a boat anchor that is unmodifiable but a lot of things can be unmodifiable on a limited budget. Personally speaking, my engine doesn't need to be modified as it has accomplished every task I have ever needed it to accomplish using the existing boat anchor engine. I think beakerztoyz should pull his engine and drop an actual boat anchor (modified or unmodified) in his truck so he might realize what a vapid statement that was.

The OP asked a specific question about adding a performance cam to his existing system. If you can do a quality rebuild of his engine and change it over to carberated while staying inside his stated budget my hat is off to you. Remember this, he hasn't even opened the engine yet and anyone that has actually rebuilt an engine should realize that $250.00 will be eaten up quite quickly by any unforeseen thing he might find once the engine is torn down.

naturedude32: Buying a second engine was a good and a bad decision, but in my mind on a limited budget was the best way to go if your truck is currently still filling your minimum needs. It has allowed you a chance to take your time and accumulate any needed additional funds for what ever you may find once the teardown and inspection is complete but it also ate up your remaining funds and almost assuredly has delayed your completion date. Nothing is worse than being without transportation while trying to rebuild an engine and finding out you also don't have the funds to complete the project due to unforeseeable problems. Good luck and know that we look forward to helping you anyway we can.

Last edited by SEAL; 10-19-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Sniper X
Captain

One thing I will suggest after reading all the posts is why not get an aftermarket set of mufflers like Flowmasters, and a K&N for the stock air cleaner? I was told by many on another site with my 1993 Ford F150 none of that wold do anything and when I did it anyway, it made a major difference! My truck felt like I added 25hp and some tourque.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM
naturedude32

I ended up buying a second motor for $250 and a cherry picker (used 3 times) for an extra $50, overall i had $900 to spend and most of it woulda been eaten up by buying a rebuild kit. I got a $75 gasket kit, and an *** load of beer, got the new engine in and now it wont line up to the trans on the drivers side but is flush on the passenger side. it looks as though the motor mounts changed from 88 to 89. and now the friend that i'm doing this in his driveway has to work tonight and it has been raining all day when he was free... as to the k&n and flow masters, its already been done, i appreciate the idea though, i just got offered a job up in michigan (my home town, because i'm away at school) for 30 to 40 hours on the weekends, and i may need to get a different (more fuel efficient car) the new motor is in grade a shape. i was hoping to find a better job around here but i cant, i may have to sell the truck i dumped a chunk of money into

Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 AM
sls001
Captain

Is the new motor your trying to put in a 360 or a 318? (you can tell by looking on the left side of the block just under the head it will be cast in).

The motor mounts didn't change but the 318 and 360 brackets that go to the block are slightly different.

Last edited by sls001; 10-24-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: brackets not mounts
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
SEAL
Champion

You can't expect the motor mounts to line up if the engine and tranny are not lined up properly. I do not know of any mount difference between 88-89 on the 318s. Is this new/used engine out of an 89 and is it a 318?

Just a suggestion but maybe you should keep at least half of the *** load of beer for the completion celebration. Just funning.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM
naturedude32

the guy i bought it from said it was a 318 and everything looked the same when the engines were side by side. on the original motor the mounts were both slotted to be adjustable. on this new motor though the drivers side has a slot to adjust and the passenger has one solid hole in it to put onto the rubber mount attached to the frame. that was the only difference, the gasket kit i bought for a 318 and the head gaskets lined up perfect

Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 PM
naturedude32

i will check the side of the motor tonight or tomorrow morning, depends on when i can get a ride over there from a friend

Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 AM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Originally Posted by SEAL
There is no such thing as an engine or a boat anchor that is unmodifiable but a lot of things can be unmodifiable on a limited budget. Personally speaking, my engine doesn't need to be modified as it has accomplished every task I have ever needed it to accomplish using the existing boat anchor engine. I think beakerztoyz should pull his engine and drop an actual boat anchor (modified or unmodified) in his truck so he might realize what a vapid statement that was.

The OP asked a specific question about adding a performance cam to his existing system.
Why the hate Seal? what I mean by saying the engine is an unmodifiable boat anchor, is basically it is what it is and if your happy with that thats great, if ya wanna increase performance your better to just pull it out and use it for a boat anchor and get a different motor, chevy guys do it all the time they pull out the gutless 305 or 267 and drop in a 350 cuz its the cheapest and easiest way to make more power.

I know exactly what the op asked and I wrongly assumed that like in most motors changing the camshaft would be an easy way to make more power, I believe he said he had about 250 to spend on a cam and thats in the ballpark for the cams i looked at for my 360, I asssumed ones for a 318 would b in the same price range. If as you guys say the computer cant be readjusted for changes then anything you do is a waste of time.

after reading through this thread I am real glad that my truck has neither a 318 or a computer

Last edited by beakerztoyz; 10-25-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 AM
SEAL
Champion

beakertoyz: No hate here. I don't know you, so why would I hate you? This is just one more incorrect assumption on your part. We obviously disagree on this subject but that in no way should be interpreted as hate. This is what is wrong in our country today. Far to many people believe you can't disagree with someone without hating them. This is tearing our country apart.

I may be more blunt than you are used to but I think if someone makes a ridiculous statement they should be told that it is a ridiculous statement so they can learn. This is especially true when the person making such statements tells the OP totally bogus information as you did in your original post in this thread. I may be wrong but I think people come to this site for accurate information instead of uninformed assumptions/opinions. This is not to say people shouldn't voice their opinions, just label them as opinions instead of facts as you did.

It also appears you aren't capable of accepting and learning from more informed people about the later 1st Gens. This is shown by your continued questioning of the non-adjustablity of these early computers when you said: "If as you guys say the computer cant be readjusted for changes then anything you do is a waste of time."

Personally if I didn't believe something I was told, I would do further research to inform myself one way or the other instead of just continuing to post my uniformed doubts. If I couldn't find info that backed my side of the discussion I would admit I was wrong as I have done in the past. (nobody is perfect) We are all willing to learn new things so my suggestion to you is to do your homework and amaze/educate us with accurate information and facts instead of incorrect opinions and assumptions. JMHO.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Last edited by SEAL; 10-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: deciding on a cam