1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gen 1's with cap/topper-what did you put on the back???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
jcruse64
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 1's with cap/topper-what did you put on the back???

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready for my 1st hunting season with my 93 W-150. This is an extended cab, long bed with the 360. At first, I was going to put a nice, sliding bed cover on this bed, but the more I think about it, and see how much junk I may be hauling around (decoys, dog kennel, decoys, etc), the better a cap/topper sounds. I've been Googling manufacturers and looking at options, and it appears that Gen 1 trucks don't get the coverage that other brands from this period receive (like a lot of other items). A.R.E had a great looking one with a full door that also raised up like a hatch, but quits at the 94 year model, and they only have limited choices for 93 or older.

Anyone on here running with a cap? If so, what do you have and what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Joe Cruse
1993 W-150
360 FI
Ext cab-long bed

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Leer cap on a Ford and liked it but don't know if they have one to fit a 1st Gen Dodge. I'm sure there are other models that fit. Also, when I drive by the dealer for these they always have used ones sitting around that people upgrade. They could set a couple on for fit and a used one may get you a better price. Sometimes JY's have them as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a chevy bedliner in my truck, so I imagine the a cap would fit as well. It was for a 73-87 chevy. I would not recommend the full door types. It seems like most of the trucks (of all brands) that I've observed that have lived without a solid metal tailgate for a long time have really floppy bedsides. I think losing the rigidity of the 4th side of the box allows the corners to get stressed and eventually fatigued a lot more when the frame flexes, instead of moving more as a whole.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I can't remember what brand the one I had on my 86 was. I think it might have been a Leer.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
jcruse64
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it will be a used one or nothing at all. I've been through several manufacturers and retailers, and no one builds new fiberglass models for this model long bed anymore. Thought I had something with Ranch, but their mold for this product busted, and they will not replace it. Might be a small, regional brand out there that does it, but it's not worth the hassle to go get it, if there is one. Might still look around the Elkhart, IN area; lots of camper-related manufacturing around that area.

Quick Reply: Gen 1's with cap/topper-what did you put on the back???