1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake Manifold Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
5thGenBoyz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Suggestions

Just wanting to know if any of you have the 89 or later 360 trucks and if you have put a better intake manifold on it with the adapater plate to keep the factory tbi and if it's worth the money. Truck runs pretty good but it has a backfire in it at low revs which I believe is a fuel pressure or IAC problem. I also read that the heads on these "pre-mag" engines don't work well with carbs.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 PM
dirtracer39
Rookie

Had a similar problem with my tbi 318, it was the egr valve . Maybe check that ... The cheapest and most effective upgrade is to make you own intake spacer . If you have a machine available

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
5thGenBoyz

Thx for the reply dirt. I will probably make my own as i have researched and found 2 made out of steel for like 100 bucks and i could whip one up for less than 20. Oh and i dont have an egr any more lol. Friend of mine and myself think it is in the fpr its needs a new one and a filter anyway still has the stock fpr and iac from the factory lol.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have an egr, that could be the problem. The TBI still thinks you do.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the furthering of my education I would like to hear how you think an IAC or fuel pressure problem could cause a backfire.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM
5thGenBoyz

Well if the fuel pressure regulator is bad or going that way then it will intermitently cut fuel pressure to the injectors which will cause a delayed fire or dry fire. As far as yge idle air control i need to replace it because of the poor idle quality sorry i didnt specify that one.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM
SEAL
Champion

In my experience a delayed fire or dry fire will show up as a miss not a backfire. Lack of fuel won't cause a backfire. Back fires are usually caused by timing issues or excessive heat buildup that cause fuel ignition at inappropriate times or in inappropriate places or both.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 PM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by SEAL
In my experience a delayed fire or dry fire will show up as a miss not a backfire. Lack of fuel won't cause a backfire. Back fires are usually caused by timing issues or excessive heat buildup that cause fuel ignition at inappropriate times or in inappropriate places or both.
100% correct...a missing EGR, bad IAC, injectors, fuel pressure regulator can not cause back firing.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are your spark plug wires? I had a garbage set of wires on my truck for a while that started cross-firing after a few months. That was no fun. If I got on the throttle hard at low RPMs at would backfire out the tailpipe like none other.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
SEAL
Champion

Quick check for plug wires. Get a spray bottle of water and mist the wires after dark.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Suggestions