1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission won't go back in!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
BigGreenBeastly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission won't go back in!!!!

So my clutch release bearing exploded to say the least... So I took drive train, transfer case, tranny, bell housing off and replaced bearing clutch was just replaced about 1000 miles ago... So go to put tranny back in and get input shaft line up and through splines but it won't go in the rest of way which is about an inch... I threaded two bolts and tried to draw it in but it won't go... Been fighting with this thing for a week with no success... Please any help would be great...

1990 w150 318 np435...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 AM
grimm
Professional

Is it a bearing, or just a bushing? I just went through this with my '85. I had to take a little grinder and adjust the inside diameter of the bushing till the input shaft would go through.
That was on an '85 though, if yours is a bearing then i dont know what to suggest. :/ Perhaps you got the wrong bearing? Did you try it on the input shaft before you installed it?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 AM
5thGenBoyz

If its going.that far and starping it has to.ne the bearing I always test my bearing on the input sfat before I assemble it.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys! He is not talking about the pilot bushing in the crank. He is talking about the throw out bearing for releasing the clutch.

Did you line up the clutch properly with an alignment tool? I have seen the clutch alignment get knocked off center when removing the trans if the trans is not supported properly.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 AM
BigGreenBeastly

@SEAL

That is exactly what must've happened... as the clutch is no longer aligned properly ... Such a frustrating series of events... But I guess I will remove everything and re-align the clutch... Should I replace clutch again?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have to remove everything and loosen the pressure plate bolts I would at least look at the clutch but I would hope to find it OK. When a bearing explodes it can throw pieces into places they shouldn't be so inspect it carefully for foreign matter and related damage.

Quick Reply: Transmission won't go back in!!!!