1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carb and Intake Manifold replacements, stock 87 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
UltraMag50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb and Intake Manifold replacements, stock 87 5.2L

OK, so the time has come to replace my carburetor. I'm beginning to see that "stock replacement" options are pretty much null, with most aftermarket manifolds not having EGR hookups. So off the the bat, i realize emissions modifications are going to be necessary if i follow through with this.

That being said, im looking at a Weiand Action Plus manifold and a Holley 600cfm traditional 4 barrel.

So, my first question. Are these acceptable replacements in your opinion? My truck is stock at the moment, and as i get money, will become a mildly modified machine, meaning headers, true dual 2 1/4" exhaust, and possibly the magnum head upgrade.

second, since this manifold has no EGR hookup, i will be removing the emissions equipment. The problem lies in the distributor, as i have an ESA equipped truck. If i remove the emissions equipment and the computer, can i leave the distributor unplugged from the harness and have it act as a straight distributor with no spark advance capability? Or do i have to shell out more money and try to find at least a junkyard vacuum advance distributor?

Third... is there anything Im missing here?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The RPM range on that manifold is too high in my opinion and that is about the max on the CFM for a carb. I think you would be better off with 500 CFM and an RPM range in the 4000-5000 range even after the improvements you have stated.

If a computer is deleted you will need a vacuum advance distributor of the pick up coil variety, a ballast resistor, and an ignition module. You might be able to find what you need at a junk yard to save money.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run a few differnent carbs on my rigs and after a little trial and error, I would suggest an Edelbrock anyday. They dont leak, they are simple as pie to tune and they generally will run pretty good right out of the box. As for your distributor question; I would junk what you have and run a Chevy style HEI. Cost about $70 but you will be running a fully self contained, one wire setup with simple vac. advance. Also, you will be throwing about 50,000 Volts instead of about 15,000. No brainer to me. Its one thing chevy did right in my opionion. Dodge was never known for stellar ignition systems.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 PM
UltraMag50
Professional

Ok, so i read up on switching to a GM HEI style ignition on the allpar website, but im still confused about the distributor. what im looking for in the the junkyard in that case is simply a vacuum advance dizzy from a similar engine, say from a 82 D150 with the 318, correct?

crap came up, so im stuck with my original carb and manifold. Hopefully it will be reliable enough to last until i either get the funds or get a newer mopar.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it helps at all, I think the last time I bought a rebuild kit for one of the stock carbs on those, it ran me $18. Pretty inexpensive and as long as you have a clean work environment (I rebuild carbs on my kitchen table on a towel layed out to keep things from rolling away.) it is an easy rebuild. Triple check your float adjustment and everything else is just replacing gaskets. Not much to mess up.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
UltraMag50
Professional

Ive actually already rebuilt it when i first got the ram. Came apart no problem, only thing i noticed was a screw was broken off the butterfly. Never did anything to it, i suppose i should at least epoxy it so it doesnt slide around. Although i've never had problems with it doing that.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
dirtracer39
Rookie

i dont think that manifold will bolt up to magnum heads, but it is a great intake, traditional 600 holleys with the side hung fuel float are good, but a 670 street avenger is worth the money.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM
dirtracer39
Rookie

also get the intake thats square bore. not the spread bore

Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM
UltraMag50
Professional

no, it wont bold up to stock magnum heads. but there is a company that manufactures 2 different magnums heads with either a magnum or la style intake bolt pattern. and yeah, thats the one thing i dont like about that intake, thats its a universal style and will accept spread or square bore carbs. any suggestions for a replacement?

Quick Reply: Carb and Intake Manifold replacements, stock 87 5.2L