1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

83 d150 4wd conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 AM
318power83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 d150 4wd conversion questions

I have a 1983 d159 it is my first pickup I ever got and it is pretty nice, I would like to know if it would be a good candidate to convert to 4wd, it came factory with the smaller bolt pattern hubs, and I never checked for sure if the frame is thinner or thicker then a factory 4wd, I'd like to know if the frame would stand up to a 4wd conversion, and if so how to strengthen it properly, there's a guy with an 85 ramcharger that I could get 4wd components from, I know the basics on what I need like, front end, reared, t case, different floor pan, crossmembers,
Extension bracket for steering gear, different driveshafts, anything I forgot please comment, I'd like to know if this would be truly worth it, and I don't want to sell it for 4wd cause like I said its my first pickup and has a lot of value to me, thanks you.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The frame will be fine. There was no real difference between the 2wd and their 4wd counterparts. The difference is when you get up to the heavier trucks, cab and chassis, etc.

The conversion from 2wd to 4wd isn't really that bad especially if you have all the parts. The hard part will be getting the rivets out that hold various pieces to the frame. You will need at a minimum a good grinder with a cut off wheel or you could use an air hammer, torch, plasma cutter etc.

The front spring, rear spring bushing is no longer available but there is a guy over at Ramcharger Central that makes a very HD replacement.

http://ramchargercentral.com/jungles...-bushing-kits/

Quick Reply: 83 d150 4wd conversion questions