1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual exhaust 89 ram w150, pipe routing, vacuum loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 PM
318power83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual exhaust 89 ram w150, pipe routing, vacuum loss

I have an 89 ram w150 318/727 and it has the newer 4wd system with the vacuum can on the drivers side next to the transfer case on the crossmember, and seeing how you can't fit another pipe in the passenger side next to the other one, I was wandering what other people have done, and if putting a heat shield next to the vacuum can for the 4wd would work to not get it hot, the pickup also has an issue with not having much vacuum from the engine I'm going to check the vacuum hoses and check the tightness of the intake and what I was wandering on that is if there is another place it could loose vacuum that wouldn't come to mind and if someone else who has around this year of pickup has had this problem, thank you

Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM
dairy
Rookie

I was not worried about appearance much when I did mine. I just got a custom bent pipe to redirect the exhaust so it ran along side the skid plate. It's not pretty and it is a good idea to have a welder because I couldn't slide the pipe on to the collector of the header very far. But I don't know if you have headers or the stock manifolds.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
318power83
Rookie

I'm not worried about appearance truly, just that if I want to run the second pipe above the crossmember for the transfer case then I'd have to go on the drivers side and it has a round ball their to kick in the 4wd with vacuum and if I were to run just a pipe there I'm pretty sure it would roast that can,unless i had a heat shield made for it, I have stock manifolds

Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
sls001
Captain

You can relocate the vacuum reservoir up under the hood so you can run your exhaust through there. 1 other thing to consider if you do run it through there is you will need to make a shield for your fuel filter which sits in the from very close to where the reservoir is.

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust 89 ram w150, pipe routing, vacuum loss