1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slight vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Bshaw0331
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight vibration

Here is the issue i am having, between 40 and 45 mph my truck has a slight front end shaked whether it be accelerating, cruising or decelerating. It is a 1988 d150 with the 360 auto. It does have a small trans fluid leak i am trying to track down. Just curious if anybody has an idea of where the shake might be coming from or the leak might be coming from.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
ghonhee
Rookie

Bshaw,
Can you describe the vibration a little bit more? Can you hear or feel it? Is the vibration there in neutral as well? You can also run the truck on jackstands and check for vibration there.
It could be your wheel bearings. I would also check out your steering system. Look for play in the tie rod ends and control arms. Also may be in tire balance.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Bshaw0331

It is a vibration/ wobble i can feel. I can't hear it. I would originally suspect tires and loose parts but it isn't a gradual vibe/ wobble up until 4o it doesn't even start until i get to 4o and stops between 45 and 5o. Also no vibration in neutral. It seems like it is starting right before it shifts to 3rd and stops as soon as it shifts into 3rd. So if there is anything else you wanna know i will gladly give more info. I'm new to the dodge world but learning.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the tires and have them balanced. You may have thrown a weight. Are you feeling it in the steering wheel or thru the body?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it seem to get worse while coasting? If it gets worse while coasting, I would say a u-joint is suspect. Otherwise, I would definatly be looking at tires. I have one that is a little out of round. It only shakes between 40 and 48 mph. Other than that it is smooth as silk. (As smooth as a first gen gets anyway.)

Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 PM
FlatBlackRam_01

Originally Posted by SEAL
I would check the tires and have them balanced. You may have thrown a weight. Are you feeling it in the steering wheel or thru the body?
+1 I see this a few times a day

Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Sounds just like the same issue Im having. I would guess mine is balance, hopefully anyway. And I can feel it through the steering wheel

Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 AM
ghonhee
Rookie

Yep. After having the balance checked, the steering wheel vibration is usually indicative of wheel bearings or tie rod ends. But wheel bearings usually have quite a bit of noise with them.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by ghonhee
Yep. After having the balance checked, the steering wheel vibration is usually indicative of wheel bearings or tie rod ends. But wheel bearings usually have quite a bit of noise with them.
I sure hope not. Guy checked the bearing and one side was good but the other side was bad so those were replaced along with the hub. Packed all the bearings too.

Its not noisy though so thats good.

Quick Reply: Slight vibration