1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rumble Strip Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012 | 09:32 AM
dairy
|
Rookie

I didnt touch the driveshaft, I only touched the axle u joints.

Old 12-13-2012 | 11:05 AM
SEAL
Champion

Sorry, I misunderstood about which u-joints. The question still stands about the needle bearings in the new u-joints. I don't know your level of experience with u-joints but I have seen newbees to u-joint replacement that have had this problem as it is very easy to do. I know they have fallen over on me but I have always caught it before completing the assembly.

Old 12-13-2012 | 10:49 PM
dairy
|
Rookie

Thanks for the help and offering suggestions I wouldnt think off. I never had even one needle fall while moving the joints so I hope one didn't fall when I wasn't looking.
I was driving it today to try and isolate the problem and I see I overlooked a piece of information that might lead to the axle disconnect that you suggested. When I put it into 4wd and hit the brakes (while its making the noise) I have very little brake pressure until the noise stops then the pressure returns to normal. I dont know how I missed this before but it might be helpful.
Do you think I would be damaging anything if I drive it in 4wd so it doesn't make the horrible noise?
Thanks again

Old 12-14-2012 | 07:53 AM
SEAL
Champion

I would not run the truck in 4x4 on hard surfaces. You can do the vacuum motor checks in about 10 min and get the free use of a handheld vacuum pump from most larger parts stores. You could also lock the front axles manually buy moving the fork inside the disconnect until you get time and money to fix it properly.

Old 12-15-2012 | 12:27 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

I one had a retaining clip on my front caliper come off, and it allowed the caliper to grind against the wheel. It was sporadic, and changed with braking, much like what you are saying.

I think to be safe, you should probably ensure that your brakes all the way around the truck are in proper working condition, functioning correctly, not hanging up, and complete.

Old 12-17-2012 | 10:24 PM
dairy
|
Rookie

I finally got the vacuum tool so I can check that when I get the chance along with the brakes and such. I also had a thought about what if it is something with the front drive shaft? What are your opinions on removing the front shaft and driving it to see if the problem still occurs?

Old 12-18-2012 | 06:15 AM
SEAL
Champion

Removing the front drive shaft has no effect on the vacuum motor or its associated problems. Can you run the truck without the front shaft? Yes. I had a rear u-joint strap break on my truck when I was plowing snow. I pulled the rear drive shaft and drove it home in 4x4.

Old 12-18-2012 | 08:04 PM
dairy
|
Rookie

I did not say it would have an effect, I meant it as if that is the problem removing it would eliminate the problem but I now know that is not the case.
I noticed upon removing the drivers side shaft I had two problems. Apparently something happened and I lost a U-joint cap. Either the cap broke like the last one or I did not get the retaining clip in all the way I don't know. I also noticed that the bearing in the axle was bad.
I hope to get these fixed tomorrow. I'm lucky that the drive shaft only has minor damage and is still useful.

Old 12-22-2012 | 12:08 AM
dairy
|
Rookie

Well I replace the U-Joint and it did not fix the problem. It could be the bearing still because i was unable to replace it at the time.

Old 12-25-2012 | 07:49 PM
dairy
|
Rookie

Checked the vacuum and it held solid. Removed the front drive shaft and still had a problem. I am down to the bearing which is currently on its way. Hopefully it is the problem.

Quick Reply: Rumble Strip Noise