1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'91 Dodge W150

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
zcg4755
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Dodge W150

I just found a super clean 1991 Power Ram with the 318 for $3,200. My question is, is it worth a TBI to carburetor conversion? I would like to achieve somewhere between 300-350 horsepower. Is this possible with the original LA block?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
zcg4755
Professional

I have read the thread below, I'm just curious as to how the LA block will preform. I know there is a big difference between a 1971 318 and a 1991 318, at least as far as power is concerned. What will the immediate change be installing a 4-bbl carburetor?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you could get that from a 318 but from a cost stand point the 360 would be much easier. you could even use a magnum 5.9 and use the magnums fuel injection (with the barrel type manifold) Mopar performance was selling the retrofit wiring harness and computer. and you could mount the computer in the engine bay if you wanted. A carbed 360 could get you to 350 HP real easy also but with the fuel injection it makes it so much easier to drive. No cold start issues and better fuel mileage. IIRC, they sold 2 or three different computers. I wish they would just sell the wiring harness so that you could use a stock computer. IDK, maybe someone sells one.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by zcg4755
I have read the thread below, I'm just curious as to how the LA block will preform. I know there is a big difference between a 1971 318 and a 1991 318, at least as far as power is concerned. What will the immediate change be installing a 4-bbl carburetor?
What will change? You will be out close to $1,000 if not more and will have gained nothing and probably lost power, easy cold starts, etc.

Here is what I recently posted for another member with regards to a swap:

If you don't have any parts now you are looking at spending $800 - $1,200 to switch it to carb, upgrade the cam and exhaust.

To switch to a carb you MUST do the following in order for it to run:
1. Purchase and install a voltage regulator for the charging system
2. Purchase and install a "stand-alone" ignition system
3. Either install a fuel pressure regulator to get the electric pump pressure down to 4-6 psi and do some re-wiring to activate the pump. OR Remove the tank and pull out the electric pump, pull the front timing cover and install an eccentric on the cam and a mechanical fuel pump.
4. Purchase an intake, carburetor, and kick-down cable

Note; if you have cruise control it will no longer function and if you have AC you will need to do some re-wiring to get it working again as well.

The LA engines perform great with some work but be advised that there is very little that can be done to the fuel injected engines that will not have adverse effects that the computer can not compensate for.

As mentioned you could go with a fuel injected 360 swap which is fairly straight forward.

Need to ask the following:
1. What is it your trying to accomplish by needing more power?
2. What is your planned usage for the truck: daily driver, towing, off-road?
3. Are you planning on larger tires - if so need to consider your gearing before anything else.
4. Realistically what is your budget

Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
zcg4755
Professional

Originally Posted by sls001
Need to ask the following:
1. What is it your trying to accomplish by needing more power?
2. What is your planned usage for the truck: daily driver, towing, off-road?
3. Are you planning on larger tires - if so need to consider your gearing before anything else.
4. Realistically what is your budget
1. I simply enjoy knowing that I have plenty of power when I need/want it. I have always heavily modified my vehicles.
2. The truck will be used as a daily driver (gas mileage is of no concern). My Dakota currently gets 13-16 and my Pontiac gets anywhere from 8-16. I'm used to poor mileage.
3. I will be using the stock tire size.
4. I will have somewhere between 3-4k to spend.

Quick Reply: '91 Dodge W150