1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interchangable driveshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interchangable driveshafts?

So long story short this weekend i got stuck while driving over snow piles. After i finally got out i noticed serious vibration starting at 20mph. I looked around under the truck today and noticed a sizable dent in the rear drive shaft. I would prefer to get one from a junk yard, rather than spending a lot of $$$ on a new one. I am wondering which models/years are compatible with my truck. I read the gen2 short bed club cab is close, but not sure if that is true. Any input is appreciated. Truck is a 91 w150 long bed automatic with 318

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

get a measuring tape and measure your drive shaft then go hit the junkyard with the measuring tape. if you your truck has overdrive then a driveshaft out of a regular cab long bed might work. if your truck does not have overdrive you may need to check short bed club cab. this is why measuring with a measuring tape is so important.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional

My truck doors have overdrive, hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to measure. Doors anyone happen to know what the length of a regular cab long bed drive shaft is, if not I'm sure it can't be to hard to research

Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 AM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also need to be certain it has the correct u-joints besides the length being correct.

Check for local drive shaft shops in your area or a machine shop that does DS work

You can also use the site below to see what might be available near you.
www.car-part.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional

Well, i used carpart.com (which i have been on before, but never actually used) and found a grade A drive shaft for $75, i ordered it and hopefully it should be here around the end of the week. I figure i might as well replace the u joints while I'm at it. Now all that's left is to install it in below freezing temp on my driveway, that should be a lot of fun. Thanks for the help

Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 AM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNfarmboy
Well, i used carpart.com (which i have been on before, but never actually used) and found a grade A drive shaft for $75, i ordered it and hopefully it should be here around the end of the week. I figure i might as well replace the u joints while I'm at it. Now all that's left is to install it in below freezing temp on my driveway, that should be a lot of fun. Thanks for the help

I've used www.car-part.com a number of times and have had very good luck.

My point on the drive shaft u-joints is your truck is a 1/2 ton with most likely 133L type u-joints, a 1-ton or 3/4 ton with 4,500lb front axle could the same wheel base but have 1410 series u-joints which would require you to replace the yokes on the transfer case and rear axle or get the correct shaft due to their physical size.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional

Well, they told me it was coming off a 90 w150, so in theory it should be the right u joints, but i will make sure to check that before i try to install it. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Interchangable driveshafts?