1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

83 w150 need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you check the resistance of the spark plug wires that are putting out a week spark? i don't know if i would trust your method of checking spark. i will usually use a spare plug gapped a bit larger than stock and ground the spark plug. if it shows good spark i would not worry about it. how did the ignition reluctor in the distributor look?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 AM
chazp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have tested it before i bought new 8mm wires and after dont get me wrong it burns some oil and smokes if left idle but is overall a great motor but i have tested everything before and after to note any changes or inprovements to anything changed before and after nothing has made a difference im not new to cars but new to dodges primary to secondary electerical system i have thought about everything that ford dodge and gm people thought it might be with help from them and some of thier tools tested all that we could but no one has mentioned the dis. pick up system or the cog that sends the signal its about 22 for the ignition box and 27-29 for the single and dual plate pick up assembly i will see if i have enough to pick them bolth up and hopefuly it might solve a hell of a problem for me

Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i would probably more so looking at the pickup and ignition reluctor. the reluctor has 8 points and maybe if a few are a bit more worn than other you may not be getting the spark you should. if it is $27-$29 for a pickup plate you may almost want to price out a rebuilt distributor. might almost be cheaper to replace the distributor than replace the pickup and reluctor. could also just need to adjust the pickup. hard to really say.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 AM
chazp

no that price is for the plates electronics and wiring and the gear sorry to missinform you but thats why they called it the assembly if you think that sounds better i will buy that first but if all else fails try the ignition box then go back and forth again for possibilites till we get it or i call it quits before im broke beyond means but thanks again ill see if they have it in stock before work training

Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i would probably just inspect what you currently have to see if anything may have come in contact with something it should not have.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 AM
chazp

well orderd a ignition pickup and reluctor will be here in the morning let you know what happens

Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
chazp

seen some traces of cross fire on the cap. changed cap no improvement changed the pick up and reluctor have improved spark on 5&6 and no problems with 3 anymore but has real lack of power slow to rev but firing on all 8 again checked timing was 1 degree off so set back to 12 again no change in performance going to regap the pickup to .006 again and hope to note some improvement in the next hour or 2 will update soon

Old 03-10-2013, 05:30 PM
chazp

well everything set to specs but has lack of power real bad im thinking it might be the catalytic converter going to unhook the exhaust to see if it solves anything

Quick Reply: 83 w150 need help