1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing the rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM
v4Moto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the rear springs

Just started down the path off replacing the rear springs on the trusty W150 92. Angle grinder took the u bolts off as they had a blob of weld on the nuts and the nuts came off the rear spring shackle and front spring mount. Problem I have is that the rear bolt wont shift now and I am puzzled how to get the front bolt out without dropping the tank (decided to do the drivers side first). Haynes says "take the bolts out". Sounds easy but I can't see how. Can anyone shed light please?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't quote me, but somewhere I thought that I read that the front bolt is welded from the back. When I put my lift on I did get it out without dropping the tank, but lets just say dropping the tank probably would have been easier...

Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
jcruse64
Rookie

Just did front and back. I DID drop the tank; I could not see a way to get a socket to the head of the front spring eye bolt without doing it, but doesn't mean there isn't a way. Definitely easier to get in and out w/o the tank there though. Any bolts I cut or chewed threads up on, I replaced with grade 8 bolts. Had to go with bolt heads bigger than the original though; not easy to find those 5/8" bolts with the smaller head to fit in that hole.

Also had to tap out the U-bolt holes in the plates under the axle, as the original U-bolts were NOT 5/8's with the Skyjacker kit.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM
v4Moto

Thks for youur replies jcruse64 & MNFarmboy. Looks like I will have to drop the tank (had just filled it a day before)! The nuts were welded to the u-bolts. I am waiting for some deep creep to work its way into to bolts anyway before I try them again.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
jcruse64
Rookie

Yeah, I soaked every bolt repeatedly with PB Blaster, and still had some frozen. I had to cut all the rear u-bolts.

I had run my tank down to 5 gal or a little more; 30gal tank. I used a floor jack with some 2x8's to support it to get it down and back up. Helps to have at least one other person. Also ended up buying bolts for the tank strap that were 1/4" longer; could NOT push the straps up hard enough to get the original bolts started.

Quick Reply: Replacing the rear springs