1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram van, 4 barrel carb fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:01 AM
pj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram van, 4 barrel carb fuel problem

I have a 1987 dodge ram b350 van 5.9 liter engine and a 4 barrel carb. It seems to have a fuel problem, The van starts up easy when fuel is poured into the carb, runs rough but better when the choke is at 3/4 on. If I turn the engine off and try to start again it wont start unless fuel is manually poured into the carb or the gas pettle is pumped continusely. I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, has new fuel in tank, rebuilt carb but something may be out of adjustment. I was wondering if there is a diagram or manual that i can get online to show how the carb is assembled. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks for your time.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: Ram van, 4 barrel carb fuel problem

I believe that you have a Rochester Quadrajet 4bbl on that 360?
Did you rebuild the carb and did you use a rebuild kit?
Sounds like you have a problem with the float or needle and seat and it's starving for gas. The needle and seat is located right after the fuel filter inlet inside the carb. the carb is relativly easy to rebuild but some parts can be installed incorrectly. Did you have this problem before the rebuild?

http://www.carburetion.com/diags/4mv.jpg

Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
pj

Yes its a Rochester Quadrajet 4bbl, I used a rebuild kit from bennets. I had problems before the rebuild, I bought the van on auctions from the airforce they have messed with the carburator before, they seemed to have bypassed the last two barrels (so it will only use 2 barrels instead of all 4). Im going to tear it apart again and check everything. Thanks for the pic ill use it while I tear it apart. Any more input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 AM
vestpuzzle1
Professional

That's in my opinion, is the best carb.(stock 4bbl) that u can get. Just do like the diagram and chump say. Make sure u put everything back exactly like u took it out.
I would go ahead and leave the back 2 bbl's bypassed. Won't hurt it.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
vestpuzzle1
Professional

blah,blah,blah [&:]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19771/851F05CAE9AA45D19BD4DBCBDB27468D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19771/788D16FCAB064FDE8F0B1E873F9ADBEB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2005, 02:06 PM
1986ram4x4

I'm also having a fuel problem with my '86 Ram. it has a 360 out of a cordoba and originally had a two barrel carb....however the previous owner replaced the intake manifold and carb with a four barrel setup. It looks to be quite the hack-job. The truck takes a lot of turning and pumping of the gas peddle to start and there is plenty of fuel in the tank, however from time to time the truck with spit and sputter and then die. After that it usually takes gas poured directly into the carb and pumping of the gas peddle to get it going again. other times after the engine is warmed up and I shut it off it doesn't want to start again without alot of pumping of the peddle and a few turns of the key. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Chump
Captain

ORIGINAL: 1986ram4x4

I'm also having a fuel problem with my '86 Ram. it has a 360 out of a cordoba and originally had a two barrel carb....however the previous owner replaced the intake manifold and carb with a four barrel setup. It looks to be quite the hack-job. The truck takes a lot of turning and pumping of the gas peddle to start and there is plenty of fuel in the tank, however from time to time the truck with spit and sputter and then die. After that it usually takes gas poured directly into the carb and pumping of the gas peddle to get it going again. other times after the engine is warmed up and I shut it off it doesn't want to start again without alot of pumping of the peddle and a few turns of the key. Any ideas?
Tell us which 4bbl you have...some brands have their own little trouble areas. Here's 2 areas that Qudrajets have problems in.

The floats are made of black nitrophyl(plastic). After so many years they begin to soak up fuel and sink in the fuel bowl. This causes the needle and seat to stay open and allow extra gas to flood the engine causing hard starting amongst other problems. New float is the fix.

The well plugs leak...
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...howtoshow;id=6

Quick Reply: Ram van, 4 barrel carb fuel problem