1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

W250 wiring harness availability.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default W250 wiring harness availability.

I may be able to pick up a 1987 318 4 speed 4wd w250 for a couple hundred bucks, but the catch is that it does not run. There are "no wires" under the hood, so is there a way to get this harness new or am I sourcing from the junkyard? Is it worth the deal?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 salvage yard 2, camera. 3. friend with good memory 4. plastic key tags and marker. 5. its a 2 six pack job.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you will have to hit a junkyard to get a bulkhead connector and then wire up what you need from there. you should be able to grab a harness out any 86-93 ram truck of van to get the bulk heat connector and then start modifying from there. you may also want to try finding a power distribution center to wire into the harness. then you could put stuff like your headlights on relays to make them as bright as possible.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would an 87 have fuel injection or a computer? What would I need to wire up to get it running and driving? Lights, dist, switched starter power?

Last edited by marcar1993; 11-07-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

a 87 should not be fuel injected. to get it running you would need to wire up the ignition system, charging system, starter, lights. not too bad but it would be nice if you find a harness from a 86-87 ram truck or van because it should get your truck running with minimal work. a 88-93 should get most of the stuff light lights working but you still will need to modify it to get everything else working but if you have no harness under the hood it is a good place to start since i don't know if you can buy the bulkhead connector anywhere.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

just a thought. at the salvage you might find one with wires of a different amperage IE, bigger amps. but most trucks didnt have bigger amps but they could. but shouldn't cause trouble.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
a 87 should not be fuel injected. to get it running you would need to wire up the ignition system, charging system, starter, lights. not too bad but it would be nice if you find a harness from a 86-87 ram truck or van because it should get your truck running with minimal work. a 88-93 should get most of the stuff light lights working but you still will need to modify it to get everything else working but if you have no harness under the hood it is a good place to start since i don't know if you can buy the bulkhead connector anywhere.
Not sure if 87 is fuel injected but it could be computer controled carb like my 86 was.
If you can get a wire harness from a truck it would be better than a van, atleast the wiring for the lights and start, ignition curcuits would be right length.
Just be very carefull to check and make sure that if you get a differernt year harness you check each curcuit to see that the pinout at the bulkhead connector didnt change from year to year.
If that doent make sence, Pin 1 on the bukhead for an 87 may be for say ignition, for different year it maybe for oil preasure gauge.
Which could cause a dead short if you try to start it.
If you can get a shop manual for your truck it will have the wire schematics in it.
Also the pins that fit in to the bulkhead connector are available at NAPA.
You have to buy Ford connectors the OEM Dodge ones are not available, Fords are a little narrower than the OEMS.
Places to look for connectors besides NAPA are:
http://www.repairconnector.com/
This is similar to what you are looking for http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/For...e_p/a16342.htm
A good pair of crimpers are a must.
This is the kit I bought when i rewired my truck
S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece - Amazon.com S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece - Amazon.com
Also I used a six pin weather pack connector for wiring in the HEI module that i used to eliminate the computer.
I bought this crimper for weather packs
Delphi Packard Weatherpack Crimper Tool Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Delphi Packard Weatherpack Crimper Tool Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
I bought this one because it crimps the seals too, some of the other crimpers do not.
Good luck with your project.
If you have any questions ask.
Most all the different types of connectors they use under the hood are available.

Dave
P.S.
If your doing an entire rewire under the hood buy the wire online.
DO NOT buy Painless Performance bulk wire, its way over priced you can get the exact same wire online alot cheaper.

Last edited by xjarhead69; 11-10-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

only reason i suggest a van harness is because it might be easier to find than a truck harness. i don't think there is anything that should prevent it from running. i got a 87 b250 harness under the hood of my 91 and it ran. i think the only thing i might have had to move or extend was the windshield washer fluid pump wires. otherwise truck ran and gauges worked.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Oh ok. Just thought the harness might be shorter because of the compactness of the van design,not much nose up front.
Good to know
Dave

Quick Reply: W250 wiring harness availability.