1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CA Smogless Ram Charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 05:28 PM
buck10racing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Smogless Ram Charger

Hi there. I have an oppurtunity to buy a 1987 Ram Charger with a 350 v-8. All the maintanence has been done in the last 2 weeks. The Catch is that is has not been smogged and It no longer has the equipment on it for CA smog. I can probably pick it up for under $1000. I have not seen it, but the post says that is really clean

here is the post
|||||||||||MUST SELL!!!!!! 1987 Dodge Ram Charger ** Midnight blue on grey exterior (New Paint)***Clean Interior*** 4X4 ** 360 engine** New Tranny** Tow package ** New plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel pump,filter and batterey. Due to Family emergency I MUST MOVE & SELL by October 7th or 8th. This Charger is in good shape!||||||||||

When I talked to her she said the exhaust manifold gasket needs to be replaced. I am not worried about that. Should I be? I am worried about collecting the equipment for smog and getting her running for this winter. I need a truck to get me to and from Tahoe. Right now I will be driving my bare bone 2 wheel drive toyota pickup. That is about 6 inches off the ground. And weighs nothing. Any Advise would make my winter. Thanks for looking.

James

Old 10-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Chump
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA Smogless Ram Charger

ORIGINAL: buck10racing

Hi there. I have an oppurtunity to buy a 1987 Ram Charger with a 350 v-8. All the maintanence has been done in the last 2 weeks. The Catch is that is has not been smogged and It no longer has the equipment on it for CA smog. I can probably pick it up for under $1000. I have not seen it, but the post says that is really clean

here is the post
|||||||||||MUST SELL!!!!!! 1987 Dodge Ram Charger ** Midnight blue on grey exterior (New Paint)***Clean Interior*** 4X4 ** 360 engine** New Tranny** Tow package ** New plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel pump,filter and batterey. Due to Family emergency I MUST MOVE & SELL by October 7th or 8th. This Charger is in good shape!||||||||||

When I talked to her she said the exhaust manifold gasket needs to be replaced. I am not worried about that. Should I be? I am worried about collecting the equipment for smog and getting her running for this winter. I need a truck to get me to and from Tahoe. Right now I will be driving my bare bone 2 wheel drive toyota pickup. That is about 6 inches off the ground. And weighs nothing. Any Advise would make my winter. Thanks for looking.

James
Might be a lot of work. You will need catalytic convertor, air pump and tubing, EGR valve and a number of other things. You might try contacting these people for more info...
http://159.145.15.175/stdpage.asp?Bo...ck/default.htm

Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CA Smogless Ram Charger

Well if it's got all original parts with just the smog stuff removed you'll need an air pump, cat(s), EGR, and a charcoal canister at the very least. You may have some issues with the heads as well, the air injection holes being blocked up. It's a fair amount of work to get it smog legal, but if it's mechanically new and under a grand it might be worth it.

Quick Reply: CA Smogless Ram Charger