1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 quit working

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4x4 quit working

Christmas Eve, me and my friend were driving around in the new snow we had gotten. I was in 2wd and got stuck in a snowbank, i put in 4wd to get out, but I got nothing. The front wheels didnt turn, the front drive shaft turned so the tcase is working as it should. Driving home i put it in 4wd and i could slide all over the road, so i know the front wheels aren't being powered. Today I took the vacuum lines off at the actuator, and I do have vacuum, and it does switch line to line when it is shifted from 2 to 4. However, it is not a strong vacuum, it is definitely noticeable, but it is not very powerful. When it is in 2wd and the front end is jacked up, if you spin 1 wheel the other doesn't spin, when in 4wd and you spin 1 wheel, the other wheel still doesn't spin. It appears that either the vacuum motor or cad isn't working, how do I determine which is the problem?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 PM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very possible that the CAD actuator on the front axle failed.

Here is all the info you need on CAD:
http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...ks-to-the-faq/

Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta be the cad, unless both hubs failed which I doubt

Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been out of town for a couple days and today I got a chance to dig into it, as it turns out it was the actuator, the shaft coming out of the vacuum motor was bent, and it was binding up. It must not have been working properly for a while because the 4wd light stopped working a couple months ago and I just assumed that the bulb burnt out. But with the new actuator the light started working again. Now I'm curious to know how the shaft would have possibly got bent, any ideas?

Quick Reply: 4x4 quit working