1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dome light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dome light issue

k so my map light works but the dome doesn't...which switch controls it is it the little metal ones in the front of the door jam by the door mounts or is it the bigger plastic ones towards the bottom rear of the door jam by the latch?
im assuming they are ground controlled because it has full power to the red wire all the time but no ground. its not the bulb either because I replaced it thinkin it was bad... any help is appreciated

thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

even if I turn the dimmer switch so the map comes on the dome still doesnt

Old 04-26-2014, 02:46 AM
cmfriend
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light

dome light issue-0900c1528007fe30.jpgthe dome light switch is the located on the hinge side of the door. The larger plastic buttons work the seat belts and retract them when the door opens.
Those buttons usually don't go bad and if neither door works the dome light then that's probably not the problem. Its a simple circuit and I would suspect a bad ground. All the switches including the light switch use the ground as the switched conductor and I would suspect the ground wire "feed" from those switches is bad. This diagram shows it as a white wire but may be a different color on yours. I think there is a plug under the dash near the E-brake with a white and pink wire running under the carpet for the rear dome light. I remember seeing that when I replaced the carpet in mine last month.
If that is the dome light wiring you should have a hot all the time on pink. And continuity to ground on white with the door open or dash switch on.

Last edited by cmfriend; 04-26-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:54 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

ok thanks man ill check that connector when I can get my testlight back

Quick Reply: dome light issue