1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seat and transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM
MopaR_MilitiA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat and transmission questions

To start off I have a 1990 club cab w150 with a modified 360 and manual 727 tranny.

My first question is about switching out the seats. It has 2 bucket seats in the front and the jump seats in the back and i wanna swap them out for bench seats. I know i can put 2nd gen seats in the front with a little modification to tge bracket, but what about in the rear? I read somewhere that mazda truck seats will do but nothing was said about any modifications that need to be done.

My second question deals with the tranny. My synchronizers (sp?) need replaced sometime in the near future, and i was kicking around the idea of putting a auto trans in since ive gotta drop my current one anyway and putting a hurst slap shift in. Which brings me to the question: is a slap shift in a big ole' truck even practical?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:48 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MopaR_MilitiA
To start off I have a 1990 club cab w150 with a modified 360 and manual 727 tranny.

My first question is about switching out the seats. It has 2 bucket seats in the front and the jump seats in the back and i wanna swap them out for bench seats. I know i can put 2nd gen seats in the front with a little modification to tge bracket, but what about in the rear? I read somewhere that mazda truck seats will do but nothing was said about any modifications that need to be done.

My second question deals with the tranny. My synchronizers (sp?) need replaced sometime in the near future, and i was kicking around the idea of putting a auto trans in since ive gotta drop my current one anyway and putting a hurst slap shift in. Which brings me to the question: is a slap shift in a big ole' truck even practical?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
727 is an automatic trans. so not sure what trans you have if it is indeed a manual.

Dave

Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 PM
MopaR_MilitiA

I thought thats what the guy I bought it from said. Can you buy a kit to convert it to manual? The guy said he swapped between manual and auto 4 or 5 times.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

I thought thats what the guy I bought it from said. Can you buy a kit to convert it to manual? The guy said he swapped between manual and auto 4 or 5 times.
Do you have a clutch in the truck?

Dave

Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 PM
MopaR_MilitiA

Yeah its got a clutch in it. Im gonna go out here in a few and crawl up under it and see what tranny ive got in it. I could of heard wrong and its got me curious.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 AM
UltraMag50
Professional

If im not mistaken, the stock manual trans should be a NP435

Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
dumpfixxer

just wondering why you would want to go back to an auto? that np435 is a bullet proof trans, but the only thing better would be a five speed, just for mpg sake. the 727 auto is a great tranny, but no way as good as the np435. just my opinion though. im doing just the opposite. i just replaced the auto 727 with a 435 manual in my 74 crew cab 4x4. so if you want a 727 you can have it

Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 AM
The War Wagon
Professional
Exclamation

Which brings me to the question: is a slap shift in a big ole' truck even practical?
YES - because it's even COOLER than UltraMag50's sig line!!!

And if you don't want it, I call first dibs!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 PM
MopaR_MilitiA

Sorry it took me so long to get back here, this holiday season about killed me. After thinking about the converaion a LOT I think im gonna stick with my current setup and either replace or adjust the synchronizers. I had to drive my uncle truck one day and I got bored not having to shift. Not to mention trying to feel for an imaginary shifter at every stop.

I am going to replace my intake and swap the throttlebody out for a carb though. The truck wants to stay tached up at 1700 rpm when im coming to a stop and when its in nuetral and I was told that and bad vaccum were the culprits. Plus I just like carburated trucks more.

Quick Reply: Seat and transmission questions