1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cummins into 1990 1/2 ton suburban

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Stone007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins into 1990 1/2 ton suburban

Ok, so I swapped the 6.2L Chevy diesel in my 1990 suburban with a 12 valve Cummins, 5 speed getrag, front and rear axles all from a 1991 w250 donor truck. Swap went great! Everything was going very well until I had to renew the tags and get emissions. The emissions testing station said they couldn't test it because of the motor swap. So I went to the state inspection facility to get the proper inspection for testing. After an hour of waiting they came out and told me since the Cummins came out of an 8500 gvw pickup and my suburban is 7300gvw it's not legal anymore. They told me Cummins were never put into a truck under 7300 gvw. Has anyone run into this, maybe have some suggestions? I'm trying to find a way to register it out of Denver metro area, but running into proof of residence... Fearing it's in the "system" now I might be sol. Spent a lot of time on this project only to have bureaucratic BS tell me I can't get registered.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2015, 09:03 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Should have checked your local laws before the swap. Laws are laws. Hard to get around them unless you can find an inspection station that will "look the other way".

Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, no way short of registering someplace without inspections. Was a thread on a dedicated Diesel forum a year or so back where a guy had a problem in CA. Blown 6.4 they dropped a 12V in. Had to pull it and go to a 24V and even after that it was a year at a specialty Fummins shop and like $18k later they still were working to make it pass CA inspection.

And they didn't have the GCVW hurdle you do...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone007
Ok, so I swapped the 6.2L Chevy diesel in my 1990 suburban with a 12 valve Cummins, 5 speed getrag, front and rear axles all from a 1991 w250 donor truck. Swap went great! Everything was going very well until I had to renew the tags and get emissions. The emissions testing station said they couldn't test it because of the motor swap. So I went to the state inspection facility to get the proper inspection for testing. After an hour of waiting they came out and told me since the Cummins came out of an 8500 gvw pickup and my suburban is 7300gvw it's not legal anymore. They told me Cummins were never put into a truck under 7300 gvw. Has anyone run into this, maybe have some suggestions? I'm trying to find a way to register it out of Denver metro area, but running into proof of residence... Fearing it's in the "system" now I might be sol. Spent a lot of time on this project only to have bureaucratic BS tell me I can't get registered.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Maybe try retitling it with a "Rebuilder's Title" at 8500 gvw since you swapped axle also.
It's worth a shot.

Dave

Quick Reply: Cummins into 1990 1/2 ton suburban