1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Shaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Billybob09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Shaking!!!

Hey y'all,

I have a 1988 Dodge W100 318. Recently it started shaking when slowing down. I thought it was the brakes so, I went ahead and replaced the entire brake system. Rotors, pads, drums, shoes, hardware, calipers, booster, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and all the emergency brake cables. Put it back together, brakes adjusted perfectly, but still shakes the same. I knew my tie rod ends and ball joints were bad, so i went ahead and replaced them, and did both front u-joints, axle shaft seals, front differential carrier bearings, wheel bearings and spindle bearings while i had it all torn apart. Just got it back together and still same problem. Next, i turned to the drive shaft u-joints. There was quite a bit of flexing in them, so I went ahead and replaced them both at the transmission and at the rear differential. But still, it is shaking. But only when you brake. No pulsing in the pedal, just shaking of the whole car. Feels like its right underneath the dash. There's still more flexion that i think is normal at the rear drive shaft u-joint. I'm thinking either torque converter, bad yokes, or something in the rear differential? It also makes a loud clunk when putting it in reverse. Every other gear is fine. And it up shifts just fine, smooth as can be. Same for downshifting if you're just coasting to a stop. Only shakes when braking. I'd hate to tear the entire transmission or rear axle apart not knowing where to go from here, especially after rebuilding the entire front end. I am at a total loss. What do you all think?

Old 12-31-2015, 01:33 AM
Billybob09

anyone?

Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 AM
OlrustysGhost
Rookie

If it only shakes when you touch the brakes, I would recheck what was done. It sounds like something could be out of round with the replacement parts.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Try using the parking brake to slow down and see if it acts the same. What condition are the front wheel bearings? Do you have hubs or cad?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Warlock_III
Amateur

I'd bet the Rotors are bad. If they were replaced and not turned did you clean them before you put them on?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Billybob09

Rotors are brand new. They were turned after the lug studs were pressed in. Still shakes. Is it possible it could be the unlock/lock solenoid in the transmission?

Old 01-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Billybob09
Default Update

UPDATE:

I drove the truck in 1st gear only and pressed on the brakes. No shaking. I drove the truck in 2nd gear only and pressed on the brakes. No shaking. I put the truck in drive, and drove and braked, shaking comes back.

My guess is its obviously having trouble downshifting, and perhaps downshifting from 3rd gear? Any causes? Torque converter? The truck has no problems shifting from reverse to park to drive, etc. I am somewhat familiar with transmissions and the way they work, but am no where near good enough to come up with any diagnostics with them.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Get up to speed (in 3rd/overdrive) then shift it into neutral and try the brake. This will rule out the drive train.

Did you try this?
Try using the parking brake to slow down and see if it acts the same.
This will tell you if it's the rears of not.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Billybob09

Originally Posted by Moparite
Get up to speed (in 3rd/overdrive) then shift it into neutral and try the brake. This will rule out the drive train.

Did you try this?

This will tell you if it's the rears of not.
I tried both. Truck shakes still. It doesn't shake only when it is in 1st or 2nd gear only. Not drive.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Warlock_III
Amateur

I'm stumped...

You mentioned the New rotors...but state you had them cut.

I'm sorry but I'm still going with the rotors at this point. Have you checked them again for hot spots etc..?

Try jacking the rear off the ground and check for play in the driveshaft (in neutral) and the rear yolk.

I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like a wheel out of balance at high speed,

Last edited by Warlock_III; 01-09-2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Truck Shaking!!!