1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

86 Dodge W150 Steering Column Wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 PM
86Dodgeman
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 86 Dodge W150 Steering Column Wires

I need help! I bought a Painless Wiring harness kit to install in my new truck to replace the disaster that is in there now, but I need to know what the wire colors are as they don't match the new harness colors that run to the steering column ignition and horn/signal lights. I cannot find a diagram anywhere to save my life! Attached are pics of the wires that come out of the column. The first picture is the ones that I am assuming go to the horn and lights (only the wires IN my hand, not the ones behind it). The second is the Quick Disconnect that I assume goes to the ignition.

Attached Thumbnails 86 Dodge W150 Steering Column Wires-image1.jpg   86 Dodge W150 Steering Column Wires-image2.jpg  

Last edited by 86Dodgeman; 06-15-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

here's a thread where another member replaced the switch this connects to. Maybe he has the wiring diagram:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ng-issues.html

Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 PM
86Dodgeman
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't have one on their post but thanks for the reply. Think I will have to try the Dodge dealership down the road from my house and see if they can tell me anything. If not, I will have to find a mechanic that can.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Superdodge79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered an 18 circuit universal harness from Hot Rod wiring and I have the same color ignition wires that you do under the dash and I'm also having trouble figuring out the wires for my instrument cluster. Have you figured out what the wires do? I can get the truck to start when I arc the starter relay with a screw driver but I'm not getting any power to the starter wire from the ignition key and I have been very stressed over the whole project. I am also having trouble finding where my oil pressure sending unit wire plugs into on the motor. I have a 1979 Dodge W150 with a 360 motor. I know this is not a 1986 W150 but there isn't much difference between the trucks, only a few minor changes. I have the exact same ignition wiring colors and they are in the same place on the same harness. I also found a very detailed diagram for a C-styled harness plug in but the wires (color and labeling) turned out to be very wrong. Your wires are the exact same as mine for the ignition wiring tho. The only light I can get to work on my dash is the left turn signal. My radio and air conditioning is working just fine. I have headlights, parking lights and turn signal lights. My dome light hasn't come on yet. I have a Chilton manual but the diagram is not the best in the world. I want/have to get the truck running before the month is over. The Harley is getting to be a bit cold for a ride to work. I was hoping to see a diagram that labels each wire and where it specifically plugs into but there is nothing. It is almost like the electrical work is a huge secret or something for these trucks. I've never wired anything before. This is getting to be a huge nightmare. I almost got a good diagram from constant internet searching but the information I need is cut off. I requested a diagram from Dodge but haven't gotten a reply, I just need a miracle at this moment. I'm very lost.

Last edited by Superdodge79; 10-23-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I am also having trouble finding where my oil pressure sending unit wire plugs into on the motor
Into the sender at the back of motor next to the distributor. Get a "FACTORY" service manual for your year it will have all the info that you need. Not sure about the 80's trucks but some of the late 70's trucks used GM steering columns. The wiring diagram may not have the wiring past the disconnect to the ignition switch since it's GM. ???

Quick Reply: 86 Dodge W150 Steering Column Wires