1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1990 W250 360 remove catalytic converter - bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 AM
ejjaeke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 W250 360 remove catalytic converter - bad idea?

I am repainting my pickup and have taken the bed off. Since it is off I plan to replace the fuel sending unit (bad gauge readings) and do some exhaust work. I live in a non-emissions county, so I want to cut off the cat and clamp on a simple straight pipe in its place. I'm wondering if this is a stupid idea... will the loss of the o2 sensor throw the computer into a fit?

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You should realize that catalytic converters are a federally mandated piece of equipment, meaning that if your state does not haveinspections, they are still required. Also know this: its illegal to removethem by federal law, its illegal to sell a vehicle if they were on the vehicleas original equipment and then removed, and by law, you can't trade a vehicle inwithout them, as the dealer cannot resell the vehicle unless they reinstall them.This is why a dealer is required to have you sign a paper that states allfederally mandated equipment is still on the vehicle. If you sign it and theequipment is found to not be installed, they can sue and have the dealreversed, or force you to pay to have the equipment reinstalled. This goes forprivate sales as well. Even if you sell a vehicle "as is", the buyercan come back to you and sue to have the deal reversed or force you to pay forreinstall. That's a federal law that protects the removal of such equipment,and not a state law.

Bottom line? Leave them on, or save them to reinstall when you want to sell ortrade in the vehicle.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:40 AM
dcdoc45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure to keep the O2 sensor. removing the cat will not effect anything probably make it run better. I have a 91 that has true duals. Just do like he said and keep the cat so you can change it back if you sell it.
or go to a junk yard and get one. some people hollow out the cat also.