1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 AM
Justin Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb electrical issues

started as just the front right blinker and indicator not blinking for the blinkers (they flash for the hazzards though) and the hazard lights not working unless the left blinker is also on
and now my taillights wont come on at all, when i pull the hazard switch it activates the brake lights, all the wiring i can find seems fine and all the connectors look fine, ive replaced all the lights and fuses and ive also replaced the front right blinker socket because the wires were damaged and not connecting well, hoping that someone on here might have an idea of whats going on and point me in the right direction, until then im gona continue following the wires and checking for shorts and bad grounds. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:17 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check and recheck all the ground connections.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 AM
Justin Martin

iv checked all the grounds i can find in the dash and the body, and still no luck.
i just took my dash apart and checked a bunch of other stuff to, all the connectors and wiring look fine, i'm gonna be taking all of the wrapping off of all the wiring in the hood to check for shorts and replace most of the wiring in there since some of it is brittle and cracked in some spots

Old 04-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by Justin Martin
iv checked all the grounds i can find in the dash and the body, and still no luck.
i just took my dash apart and checked a bunch of other stuff to, all the connectors and wiring look fine, i'm gonna be taking all of the wrapping off of all the wiring in the hood to check for shorts and replace most of the wiring in there since some of it is brittle and cracked in some spots
Normally all electrical weirdness is due to a fuseable link that Dodge used a lot of. Do you know what they are and where they are? I ALWAYS replace all mine on all my Chrysler products with fuses. And I NEVER have another electrical problem.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 AM
Justin Martin

i probed all the fusable links and they all seem to have power going through them, i do plan on replacing them soon anyways because i know they are known for issues and now there is a risk of short because they have been probed, there is a part of the wiring harness for the positive terminal on the battery that appeared to have a section of the wire replaced but as i took it apart the wire i thought was the old one doesnt appear to be what i thought it was. im thinking something was screwed up when the person who owned the truck before me rewired it, it seems to always have excessive corrosion around that wire shortly after i clean it all off