1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1980 Dodge D150 cuts out when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:08 PM
80dodgeD150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Dodge D150 cuts out when accelerating

Hello,
I am new to this so I'll try hard not to screw it up. I recently purchased a 1980 Dodge d150 2wd with a 318. I am by no means a mechanic so here's my issue. It has a 2 barrle Holley carb that I have done a rebuild kit on leas then a month ago. I've also replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor along with new air cleaner and fresh oil change. It's starts just fine and after it warms up idels good. But when you give it gas it cuts out or straight up dies. And the accelerator pump is new and hooked up right. All of the vacuum lines seem to be fine and not leaking. The exhaust manifold does leak a little so I'm not sure if that's the issue. Ive done all that I can think of and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Does this happen only when it's been running for a while or not? What about the choke? Is it hooked up and working? Does theaccelerator pump squirt adequate fuel when you move the throttle?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

I'd suspect ignition for those symptoms, actually, rather than fuel. I'm assuming that your truck doesn't have that stupid Electronic Spark Control computer, correct? If not, I would suggest
1) Check the ignition timing
2) Check that the vacuum system for the spark advance is working correctly

If those are correct, I'd then replace the pickup coil and ballast resistor (because they're the cheapest starting point), and if that doesn't solve your problem then I'd replace the ignition coil. If that still doesn't fix it, then your ignition module itself may be toast.

If you DO have the Spark Computer, then I'd suggest losing it and converting to a conventional electronic ignition.

Last edited by Noelie84; 04-27-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:34 PM
80dodgeD150

Thank you so much for the replies

The accelerator pump does squirt out two stream of gas when you push on the peddle. It's strange because it can stall when the truck is cold or warmed up. It does not have an electronic ignition so I will have to do some digging on what I have to check or replace there. I've checked every hose I can think of that has a vaccum to it and I can't haer or feel any leaks. All of the houses look pretty good. Like I was saying I'm not a mechanic but is there a way I can hook up a gauge and see what the vaccum pressure is??

Thank you
​​​

Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Originally Posted by 80dodgeD150
Thank you so much for the replies

The accelerator pump does squirt out two stream of gas when you push on the peddle. It's strange because it can stall when the truck is cold or warmed up. It does not have an electronic ignition so I will have to do some digging on what I have to check or replace there. I've checked every hose I can think of that has a vaccum to it and I can't haer or feel any leaks. All of the houses look pretty good. Like I was saying I'm not a mechanic but is there a way I can hook up a gauge and see what the vaccum pressure is??

Thank you
​​​
If you've got a vacuum gauge, just let the engine warm up to operating temp and then shut it off. Plug in to pretty much any vacuum port, start the engine back up, and see what it reads. Assuming your engine is stock, you should be running between 15-20 at idle, ish. If you've got an aggressive camshaft then it'll read lower, probably in the 12-14 range.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM
85ram
Default This happened to me

Specifically after my carb rebuild, I have the same problem with a 318 and a Holley carb. I replaced the faulty gasket plus a few more. I didn't want to mess with much because I am no mechanic the only part I replaced (besides the gaskets) was the fuel delivery part. I assumed it was cutting off because it needed to be broken in or something but I'm not sure if that's how it works. I'll let you know if it gets better or how I fix it.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
80dodgeD150

Originally Posted by Noelie84
If you've got a vacuum gauge, just let the engine warm up to operating temp and then shut it off. Plug in to pretty much any vacuum port, start the engine back up, and see what it reads. Assuming your engine is stock, you should be running between 15-20 at idle, ish. If you've got an aggressive camshaft then it'll read lower, probably in the 12-14 range.
I will for sure try that and see what I get. So if it's lower then 15-20 I would have a vacuum leak somewhere?

Old 05-03-2017, 04:12 PM
80dodgeD150

Also the speedometer only goes up to 35 when I'm driving. Im guessing I'm going around 55 but it only go up to 35 then it just sits there. Is there anyway to take the guage cluster apart and see if a gear is stuck? Also none of the gauges work. There are two little power supply looking things on the driver's side fender right by the wiring harness area. Both of them are leaking something out of them and I wonder if that would be the issue. It's strange. It's like a sap looking goo that had leaked out of them. I'm not sure what they do.