1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1993 Dodge W150 stalls/shuts off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:51 PM
GipseyKing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dodge W150 stalls/shuts off randomly

I found a previous thread about this same issue from 2009 but it had no real solution or cause. Link below:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/209158-1993-dodge-w150-engine-shut-off-while-driving.html

Anyways, my truck is a 1993 Dodge W150 6 cylinder 5 speed fuel injected. It will shut off randomly and it doesn't matter on engine temp, load, speed, hills, ect. It might run like a top for a week or it might only run for 5 minutes until it dies. Normally after a few minutes it will start and run just fine.

I thought at first it was an issue with the wiring harness grounding it's self in the valve cover but I found no bare wires.

In the thread mentioned above, it's is recommended to check the Halls Effect sensor (I don't believe that the 1993 and newer models have this), ASD relay, and crank shaft position sensor.

Also, could be an issue with the ignition wiring. Another thread said that putting a 30 amp inline fuse on the ignition would fix the shut off issue.

I have replaced the fuel filter but have not tested the fuel pump. I read in another forum that it could be a failing fuel pump and the pressure drops randomly.

I just want to know if anyone else has had this issue before I start throwing money at it. Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by GipseyKing; 05-30-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Old 06-07-2017, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The "hall effect sensor" they are referring to is likely the cam position sensor in the distributor. Are you getting any codes? (cel on?)