1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

91 D150 Questions (Also a Hello!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Festus91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 D150 Questions (Also a Hello!)

Hi all! I just purchased my first vehicle, and it's a 91 Dodge D150 base model I found on Craigslist with only 57XXX miles. It has a 318 engine and a 3 speed automatic transmission. His name is Festus.

The PO was a dairy farmer in my area that developed parkinsons and parked the truck in a barn where it wasn't touched from '01 until 2016. At that time, the husband of the farmer's granddaughter pulled it out, replaced most of the rubber (I still need to do the window seals on the driver/passenger side), the starter, and the fuel pump, tires, fuses, battery, etc. essentially, it's like a new truck again minus some surface rust and some scratch from being used on the farm.

What issues, if any, should I be on the lookout for as I use the truck?
Does anyone have any service schedules for this year they'd recommend I'd follow?
What do y'all think I could safely tow with this truck? There's not a weight distributing hitch at all, but i could have one installed. I found a camper I'd like to invest in to live in for a while as I pay down my student loans, and the weight is approximately 5,420 lbs. Could my truck pull this? From googling, the main thing I could find is that they changed to bumpers to steel which increased the capacity from 3 to 5K, but I'm unsure if that's the bumper or hitch rating. It's located in the mountains and I'd be pulling it down to the flat region of my state.

Also, in case it's not clear, I'm not mechanically inclined or the most knowledgeable about towing, but I'd like to learn from those of you willing to explain things. It seems that this truck should be where I can do a lot of shade-tree maintenance as I learn what I'm doing.