1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New 1988 W100 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 AM
Luke9800
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New 1988 W100 Issues

First off thanks for the help I have already received by reading threads on this website.
I have purchased a 1988 W100 for my collage son, and before he drives it, I have some stuff I need to fix. But the truck is from Georgia, and for us in Ohio that usually means clean aka No Rust. It’s a 3' lifted short bed and other then the jerry rigging that’s been done it’s a clean solid truck. The Po had swapped a 1986 318 in it and switched it to a carb and removed the computer most of the vacuum items. He changed to a HEI Distributor and also put in a 10SI Gm alternator. I have lots of stuff to work on so I am going to go at it hopefully only a couple projects at a time. First is “The Wiring” and since most of the stuff all the extra wiring went to is gone, pulled the complete bulkhead and remaining wiring and I am going through it now. Going to go Old School. It’s not my first rewire and I’m sure I’ll go overboard, but either do it right, or don’t do it at all.
Working on the Vacuum at the same time as the wiring along with cleaning up the rest of the engine compartment. But I got to the Vacuum lines on the transfer case to the CAD on the axle. There is the 4-plug vacuum plug. Shop service manual diagram say its 2 to the cad, 1 to source and 1 for vent. But it’s such a generic diagram that you can’t tell which line goes to which on the plug. Now what I have is 2 to the Cad, and 2 running the the Reservoir Vacuum Ball. Pretty sure it’s supposed to be 1 to the Reservoir ball and one from the Reservoir ball to manifold source vacuum. But I don’t have that. And there is not one used for vent. (yes, I have the other larger transfer case vent that does not go into the 4-plug vacuum plug that’s similar to an axle vent.) So which line goes to the ball and which goes for vent? Furthermore, does it matter on the ball which of the plugs is source and which is to the TC?
I’m getting a new 4-plug switch and replacing it ($11.00) since I’m going to be running all new ¼” rubber vacuum lines anyway. Thanks for any help in advanced.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

This is how it should be set up. Only one line to vac is needed. Make sure you have a good check valve on there somewhere before the switch.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Luke9800
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reservoir Ball

Thanks for the reply
So does the reservoir ball count as a check valve for this? Or should there be both?