1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

79 360 2bbl build advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 PM
rickpilgrim
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 360 2bbl build advice needed

winter is here and our 86 RC 318 is wore out.
Strangely enough, my boneyard had no good carb 318’s but more than 1 good 360 2bbl so that and a 360 converter for the 727 came back with me.
Have any of you tried keeping a 2bbl intake (even a Holley 5002bbl counts) with a hotter cam, headers and seeing the RC has lean burn a performance curved ign system?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 PM
rickpilgrim
Amateur

Bump
any ideas eny body?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I assume the 79 is NOT computer controlled carb? If not, putting a small four barrel on there would be a smile-inducing upgrade. Don't go overboard on the carb, something with relatively small primaries, with larger secondaries, would give you the low end torque you want, but plenty of power is you start tickling the radiator with your toenails. It would also nicely compliment any other mods you do. Not having to deal with a computer, makes life MUCH easier for ya. Still lots of choices out there for the old LA engines.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

lean burn a performance curved ign system
Lean burn and performance don't go together. I would remove the whole system and get a standard(electronic) distributor with vac and centrifugal advance. Remove the stock intake(boat anchor) and put on a nice aluminum one(4 bbl edelbrock) with a spread bore carb. That would be a start, Exhaust would be next on the list.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 PM
rickpilgrim
Amateur

The headers and W200 dual exhaust kit arrived from Summit today and tomorrow the performance curved distributor/coil/wires/plugs and wiring harness plus ign bow and dual resistor will be here from Amazon. On Monday the small Lunati cam,Crower cam saver lifters and comp cams single valve springs with dampener are due from Jegs. Also from O Reilly’s I got a comp cams Magnum series dual roller timing chain for $45.99 clearance price when picking up a new oil pump and gaskets.
I really don’t want to junk the 2bbl manifold and complete transmission control linkage either. In fact we already took the die grinder and made a 1/2 cut between the barrels and port matched it to gaskets and bolted the Holley 500 adapter to the intake and used the die grinder to “smooth” the passages and continue the 1/2” slot up to the carb mounting pad. The Holley 500 2bbl came with the RC and worked ok on the 318 and with the kicdown linkage already made, I really don’t want to change it. And also on of my family drivers rolled my 87 K5 on a sunny summer day getting on the freeway on ramp so I don’t want to get to radical with the RC driveline.
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Old 12-28-2017, 06:44 PM
pentastar666

I have tried to use a 2bl with cam upgrade as cam manufacturer said i could but motor was way lean .

Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 AM
rickpilgrim
Amateur

Update,
we built the 360 with the Lunati voodo 207-213@.050 cam, magnum timing set, kmj distributor with Summit Racing cid box and Holley 500 2bbl on open center carb adapter. Installed it in December and other than stepping 1 size down in jetting performance was every bit as good as the thermoquad equipped 90 tbi 360 it replaced, with a bit less smoothness of throttle control.
Unfortunately while hauling snow last week one of my employees got it stuck while hauling snow and must have revved it pretty good as now I have a dull knock that sounds like spun or bad main bearing..
Currently gathering up the parts for a 440 swap.

Last edited by rickpilgrim; 03-16-2018 at 11:24 PM.