1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

360 Magnum build

Old 12-30-2017, 05:26 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 360 Magnum build

So I'm gonna be doing a Magnum swap in my 91. I'm big into the 318s. Besides the 2.02 intake valves what is there for a 360? Not sure if I want to go the whole 408 stroker route. I'm thinking a 340 crank, 340 rods with 360 pistons, the 340 blew the 318 out of the water using the same crank. Just wondering if it's been done, or just a waste of money. I know it might be good for higher revs, but what about torque? I'm more after torque than power, but they are hand in hand. I already have a cam, is slightly shorter duration, but higher lift than the 340 six pack cam. It's a roller cam from lunati. Not overly aggressive.
​​​​258/268 duration, .470/.480 lift. Originally bought for my 318 build but that train derailed, so it's a Magnum swap now. Aftermarket heads are kinda out of reach with my budget, prolly gonna go with stockers, or reman if they are cracked. 2.02 intakes, 1.60 exhaust. Stock bottom end, unless I can get more torque with a shorter stroke I'll go with the 340 crank and rods, stock pistons, decked block. Self learn tbi, prolly msd ignition. Should cover all bases, plus small stuff here and there. Open for other ideas. Kinda new to the 360, just wondering is there any big block parts that will work?? I know using 360 parts in the 318 wake it up, just wondering if the big block stuff would wake up a 360. Like valves, or rods, pistons. I know other components won't like heads, intake, crank, cam.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I think de-stroking the 360 would be counter-productive, and unnecessarily complicate things. Think I would just punch it out .030, rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets......

If you are planning on using the fuel injection, you may have to re-think your cam choice, as custom tuning to make it run right will get expensive in a hurry. You don't have the option to just upload a new tune to your pcm, you will have to send it out, so whatever company can burn a new chip, and install it in your PCM...... I know there is a HUGE community that does tuning on the GM OBDI systems, but I haven't seen anything even close to that scale for the Dodge stuff. (in fact, I think there are only one or two companies out there in the world that support the older Dodge OBDI stuff.....)

Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think de-stroking the 360 would be counter-productive, and unnecessarily complicate things. Think I would just punch it out .030, rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets......

If you are planning on using the fuel injection, you may have to re-think your cam choice, as custom tuning to make it run right will get expensive in a hurry. You don't have the option to just upload a new tune to your pcm, you will have to send it out, so whatever company can burn a new chip, and install it in your PCM...... I know there is a HUGE community that does tuning on the GM OBDI systems, but I haven't seen anything even close to that scale for the Dodge stuff. (in fact, I think there are only one or two companies out there in the world that support the older Dodge OBDI stuff.....)
I'm not gonna use the oem fuel injection, I was thinking the self learning type, would just be easier. Plus I get swap out the ignition system and get away from using the obd1 system. But I might go carb. I can get a 650, or 700cfm carb for around $100. About $600 cheaper than the self learn tbi on summit. Atleast use the carb till I save some change to get the tbi system upgrade. I'll just keep the stock bottom end 360. Open up the top end let it breath. I didn't realize the journals on the 360 were bigger than the 318,340 cranks. Plus I get more torque with the longer stroke. They make a 383 stroker kit for the 360? I'm just looking for ideas, something outside the box. Stuff for down the road when, I get bored with this setup.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:21 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if your not in a rush you may just be better off to just save and go straight for the aftermarket TBI setup for the engine. you will still likely end up spending another $100 between a fuel pressure regulator and system to control the fuel pump for the carb plus another $50-100 on the ignition. minus well just spend a bit more all at once and go for the TBI setup. it has all the stuff needed to control the fuel pump and ignition built in.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Not to mention that it is more efficient than a carb...... and has better manners as well.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:30 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

yup. lot hard to stall a fuel injected vehicle than it is to stall a carb engine. i know i stalled my truck like 6 or 7 times on my 0.25 mile trip the the grocery store last night since i was trying to make it before they closed.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:05 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not to mention that it is more efficient than a carb...... and has better manners as well.
he he, I had a 68 Plymouth, 318, points, two barrel. Didn't like cold damp weather, would not idle for anything, even when warm. But I rebuilt the carb, had the idle screw in my fingers, and it was idling so slow you could count the fan blades. Direct fan no clutch. Ran great in the summer time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 360 Magnum build