1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'90 D150 318 - No fuel to TBI

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Knoxi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '90 D150 318 - No fuel to TBI

Quick run down, D150 with a 318, automatic. Cranks great, fuel lines to TBI are bone dry, about 6 gallons of fresh gas in the tank. When the key is put to on, I hear the pump (or something at least) run in the tank for a second or two. Confirmed the sound was from the tank by putting my ear to the tank while having the key then switched to on by another person. Tried cranking a while, switching off/on after waiting a little to get the pump to run, trying to turn off then on right away I couldn't hear the pump run at all. Gauge also now reads empty (read about 1/4 tank when parked, though I remember when parking it 8 years ago it read empty).

Some more detail, I've owned the truck for over 9 years, and it's been sitting for about 8 of those years. When I parked it, it was having transmission issues (which I feel was related to low fluid and a missing spring), and was burning a bit of oil - valve stem related. Last month I took most of it apart, removed the cylinder heads, lapped the valves and put new seals in. Have it all back together now, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and some vacuum lines. I deleted the Air Pump, capped the vacuum line, and capped the manifolds. I made a 2 2/12 inch dual exhaust, has mufflers, no catalytic converter now (I made sure to secure flapper in passenger side manifold to stay open). I deleted the A/C as well as the clutch was dead and I didn't feel the need to replace it, so I removed the entire system from the engine bay and capped the lines at the firewall. Managed to get the large Bosch alternator to fit after some different attempts, had to move the power steering forward about one pulley width to get everything to work. All this apart from new tires, shocks and brakes. Oh and some body work to make it interesting.
Putting the key in, everything turns on, cranks great, but no fire. The tank was empty when I parked it, was running on fumes pretty much. I put in about 6 gallons of fresh gas and nothing so far. I poured some gas in the throttle body to see if it would go, and it fired up for a moment. I didn't want to pour too much in, nor do I have a can of starting fluid. I was told there was a way to jump the relay to test it, but don't know which slots to put the jump wire in. I have a TBI rebuild kit as well, as I noticed some fuel leak out of one of the components on the passenger side after pouring fuel directly in while testing.

Hope I provided some detail, I just can't figure out what could be the issue. Blocked up filter maybe?
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd start with a new filter, while the line is off, turn the key on make sure you have fuel at the filter (most vehicles have a rubber hose between the pump and sending unit inside the tank, might be leaking) pull the lines off the tbi, and blow some compressed air through them, very gently!! Put it back together and check for fuel at the tbi.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would pull the fuel filter and see if fuel is getting to it. you don't have to crank the key for it to cycle the fuel pump. just have to turn the key to the run position from the off position to make the pump cycle. now if you left the tank empty it is possible that the pump might be bad. fuel pumps really don't like sitting dry or sitting for 8 years. it is possible that you may end up needing to replace it to get your truck running again.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Knoxi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i would pull the fuel filter and see if fuel is getting to it. you don't have to crank the key for it to cycle the fuel pump. just have to turn the key to the run position from the off position to make the pump cycle. now if you left the tank empty it is possible that the pump might be bad. fuel pumps really don't like sitting dry or sitting for 8 years. it is possible that you may end up needing to replace it to get your truck running again.
Sorry for the late reply, that was exactly the issue, bad pump. I was able to save myself the headache of dropping the tank as the bolts were between the frame rails and the tank, and instead just unbolted the bed and lifted it off.
Thanks for the help anyway!

Quick Reply: '90 D150 318 - No fuel to TBI