1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas tank /move from cab.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Mastew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank /move from cab.

I have a 1973 D100 1/2 ton P/u can someone point me in the right direction.Want to put fuel tank in rear of truck
where spare would go looking for ideas and suppliers.Thank you (newbie)
(Tank was behind the seat in the cab )
New tank 283/4 in W*29in L*9in H
Hopefully at least 15gal
Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2018, 09:09 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

your option might be a bit limited if you would like to keep the tank where the spare would have gone. if you can find a 72-87 ramcharger fuel tank that would probably be the best option. you just need to grab the brackets off the vehicle you get the tank off of. the ramcharger fuel tanks are generally 30-36 gallons. there are also a few years in the 70's where dodge ran dual fuel tanks. it should bolt in but might be a bit difficult to find. the other option would be going with something like a fuel cell.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 AM
u2slow
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Other tanks to consider...
- 80s/90 F-series aft tank (19gal) or Bronco (30ish gal)
- K5 Blazer/Jimmy rear tank (25 and 30ish gal)

Spectra Premium has a good online catalog with dimensions.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

You need the fuel door and hoses going to the tank also. Why not put it where the factory did in the later pickups along the frame on the side. If you can find a truck in a junk yard or craigs list that they are parting out you can get everything you need.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
You need the fuel door and hoses going to the tank also. Why not put it where the factory did in the later pickups along the frame on the side. If you can find a truck in a junk yard or craigs list that they are parting out you can get everything you need.
could just be me but if i am going to go through all the work of moving a fuel tank from the cab and having to do body work minus well move it to the back for better weight distribution. the factory setup is really not ideal but it is what they did. there is a reason the leaf and coil springs on the drivers side always sagged and people always post about it looking for solutions. to me i really like the ramcharger fuel tank setup or maybe a fuel cell between the frame rails at the back.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 AM
u2slow
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The trucks with a midship tank have a taller, shaped crossmember that it straps to.
The ramcharger tanks are difficult to find. Its great they're plastic, but that means they didn't rust out, so there's no new replacements made.

I believe you could go as far as 40 gallon. There's a retrofit ones made for the Fords, plus stock Suburban tanks. Ford has the same width frame as Dodge for many years. GM is narrower.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i know the ramcharger ones are kind of rare. that is why i also suggested a fuel cell. pretty much anything that would go between the frame rails at the back would be a good option in my opinion. the only thing it might do is lower how much weight you can put in the bed before it start dropping but to me something like that wouldn't be a huge deal. not too many people really work trucks this old too often. even i only really work my truck a few times a year.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

If you move the tank from cab you will need to close the hole from the gas filler anyway. Bodywork!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you move the tank from cab you will need to close the hole from the gas filler anyway. Bodywork!
but if your going to go thru all that work minus well move it to the best location for a fuel tank instead the crappy stock location used on the newer trucks. plus if you use a fuel cell you could possibly even plan for future mods and get 1 that you can get a fuel pump for so if you decide to run fuel injection you could.

Quick Reply: Gas tank /move from cab.