1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Dongeist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition

I have a 1986 D150 with slant 6 motor.After exhausting possibilities I have found the problem area but am lost now. Going down road or sitting idling it will die. Going down road if it dies I just barely turn key and it comes back to life, so I know it is right there. Is there a connector right inside column at the key ignition or what? How long would it take to replace the offending part that has made my life miserable for months on end? And can anyone tell me which of the 2 parts needed, I have seen these two separate things from pepboys that is for the ignition I have uploaded the pictures of. And if it is one of the 2 shown, where precisely does it go?

Attached Thumbnails Ignition-download-1-.jpg   Ignition-download-2-.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

does the truck have tilt steering? the picture with wires is the non tilt switch. the other one is for a steering column with tilt. it is probably about an hour or 2 job to take it apart and replace the parts needed and put it all back together depending on your tools and experience wrenching.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Dongeist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No tilt on this old beast, is it inside the column next to the key switch?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

yup it is inside the column but you got to take it all apart to get at it which includes removing the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Ignition