1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1/2- 3/4 ton Axle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM
carfreak6970
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2- 3/4 ton Axle Swap

Hello Folks!

I hope some owners here will be able to help me since this should be a common swap:

I have a 1990 Dodge W150 that I would like to swap in axles & springs from a 3/4 ton Dodge. What do I need to make this happen? and what donor vehicles should I look for?

I heard something about the earlier dana (89-90) axles being different from the later (91-93) models, is this true? would the newer/more common axles fit? would I be able to swap out the gearing if I chose to do so?

I believe this is the electronic Speedo, since these axles would be changing the gear ratio, how do I get the speedo to read correctly? is it a simple gear swap like the old 904/727? or is there something else?

With swapping out the axles, what would happen to the brakes? would the backing plates out I have now still work with the heavier axles? Would the front brakes still work? Would I need to upgrade the proportioning valve/master cylinder? What about the brake lines?

Currently the truck has warn locking hubs up front, I would like to keep that feature. Would these swap over to the new axles? or would I have to get different ones?

What would this do to steering up front? Would I need new linkages and such? anything else change with the steering? like steering gear and pitman arm?

How would this affect the 4 wheel drive system? Would I need to change out any hardware or controllers for this? could this all bolt up to the transfer case I have in there now? (id really not want to change the transfer case...)

Would I need to shorten/lengthen the drive shafts? Or would it just be better to get the drive shafts out of a 3/4 ton gas truck? I am assuming the drive shafts may be different for the diesel truck?

Would doing this swap affect the ride height? I am not running a lift kit (its at its factory height currently), I dont want to run a lift kit - I only have a couple inches between the garage ceiling support beam and the top of the truck now, not trying to push it.

Thanks

Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

None of your brake parts will swap over. (on the axles) The lines and such will be fine.

You *might* be able to swap the locking hubs, not sure on that.

Basically, you would need everything from the spring hangars down (including the hangars themselves). The yokes on the axles will also be different sized. Driveshafts from the donor vehicle *might* work, if it is the same cab configuration/bed length as your truck.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:33 PM
carfreak6970
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
None of your brake parts will swap over. (on the axles) The lines and such will be fine.

You *might* be able to swap the locking hubs, not sure on that.

Basically, you would need everything from the spring hangars down (including the hangars themselves). The yokes on the axles will also be different sized. Driveshafts from the donor vehicle *might* work, if it is the same cab configuration/bed length as your truck.

Thanks for the reply.

Would I then have an issue of bolting up the new drive shafts to the transfer case?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

You need to see what size u joints are used (on both rears and TC) and check the length between them.

Quick Reply: 1/2- 3/4 ton Axle Swap