1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 d150 3.9 egr pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Ryanmacleod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 d150 3.9 egr pipe?

Recently bought a 92 d150 and noticed theres a leak at the egr pipe but when i try to look it up it shows that the egr solenoid has no pipe off of it, assuming the motor has been changed. Can someone give me an idea what year this engine is so i can get the part?? The pipe goes from passengers manifold to egr on back of engine

Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Doesn't the pipe go from the exhaust manifold, to the back of the intake manifold?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the part is likely discontinued and extremely hard if not impossible to find especially since i think they made them out of stainless steel. that pipe should likely not be leaking. the pipe usually screws into the back of the intake and connects to the egr through the intake.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Ryanmacleod

It is the pipe that is leaking (nova scotia problems) stainless rusts when theres constantly salt around, all the egr solenoids iv found dont seem to have any pipe tho they all seem to just redirect exhaust gas from a center hole to outer holes in the egr solenoid, now that is from ebay and other parts manufacturer pictures, if i am not able to remake/patch the pipe is there any way to delete the egr without throwing a code? Thanks

Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Ryanmacleod

https://m.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Valve-AIR...66?_mwBanner=1

This is not what is on the engine as there should be a npt thread for the pipe to enter from a 90 deg. From where the solenoid attatches to the engine but all that i seem to find is a solenoid that redirects from the same side without any tube going to exhaust, im assuming either the images are not accurate or the engine has been changed and replaced with a different year that does have a tube.

I may be able to repair it-great

If not is there a way to delete the egr without it throwing a code? Or running poorly? I am fine with a slight difference im fuel economy as long as i dont have to listen to the exhaust leaking out of the tube anymore

thanks everyone.

Last edited by Ryanmacleod; 03-12-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Ryanmacleod

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
the part is likely discontinued and extremely hard if not impossible to find especially since i think they made them out of stainless steel. that pipe should likely not be leaking. the pipe usually screws into the back of the intake and connects to the egr through the intake.
sorry didnt read full comment correctly, i was not able to get a really good look at the connection from the tube to the egr and i will assume you are correct wich will make more sense

Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Ryanmacleod
https://m.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Valve-AIR...66?_mwBanner=1

This is not what is on the engine as there should be a npt thread for the pipe to enter from a 90 deg. From where the solenoid attatches to the engine but all that i seem to find is a solenoid that redirects from the same side without any tube going to exhaust, im assuming either the images are not accurate or the engine has been changed and replaced with a different year that does have a tube.

I may be able to repair it-great

If not is there a way to delete the egr without it throwing a code? Or running poorly? I am fine with a slight difference im fuel economy as long as i dont have to listen to the exhaust leaking out of the tube anymore

thanks everyone.
that is the egr valve/transducer itself. it bolts to the intake and when the computer give it the signal it allows the engine vacuum to pull the egr open. it is possible that the gasket might be leaking but you should be able to see it.

if you have a hole in the pipe it may be more of a pain to fix than it is worth. when i had to replace the crank position sensor i ended up having to cut the pipe to get at the sensor since the bolts that hold it to the exhaust manifold would not move at all and the nut that holds it to the intake would not move at all. if the pipe is fine it is best to leave it. have you checked to make sure the flanges that hold the y-pipe to the manifold are good and not leaking there?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Ryanmacleod

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that is the egr valve/transducer itself. it bolts to the intake and when the computer give it the signal it allows the engine vacuum to pull the egr open. it is possible that the gasket might be leaking but you should be able to see it.

if you have a hole in the pipe it may be more of a pain to fix than it is worth. when i had to replace the crank position sensor i ended up having to cut the pipe to get at the sensor since the bolts that hold it to the exhaust manifold would not move at all and the nut that holds it to the intake would not move at all. if the pipe is fine it is best to leave it. have you checked to make sure the flanges that hold the y-pipe to the manifold are good and not leaking there?
It is the pipe itself when it is running you can put your hand between the pipe and firewall roughly halfway between the manifold and where it goes into the intake and you can feel it coming from the pipe. I have no problem plugging both ends of the pipe off if it is ok to do so

Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i just cut a block off plate out of some light tin and dropped it between the pipe and the exhaust manifold and then another piece between the egr valve and intake. then everything is visually there but blocked. they seemed to completely do away with the egr setup on the 96 and newer trucks so i really don't see what the difference would be whether things are blocked off or not.

Quick Reply: 92 d150 3.9 egr pipe?