1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cab swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 PM
qwertyne13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cab swap

I have access to a good 1986 2wd cab and was wondering how hard it would be to put on a 86 4wd? I know the trans hump is wider on the 4wd but can it be cut out and put on the other cab without to much trouble

Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

really depends on how rusty the truck is that you are taking the cab off. should be pretty easy. we stuck a 2wd cab on my buddies truck and could have had it done in 1 day if it wasn't for 1 rust cab mount on the frame that he wanted to replace. did it in 2 days. i like how you get more floor space with the 2wd cab but can understand why they do what they do to the center hump, the wider hump is a bit cleaner surface to seal up around the shifter.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 PM
qwertyne13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the picture that is really helpful.. Looks like it is going to be ok. the new cab is in great shape and the old one is starting to get pretty bad. Mounting points on the frame are good so just cut the old bolts and left it off

Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no problem. it is mainly the old cab and rusty bolts that might put up the biggest fight. clean cabs usually come apart super easy. unless you can take the rubber mounts out it can be a bit difficult to see what shape the mounting points are in. the area outside the where the rubber sits was fine but they area where the rubber sat on my buddies truck was thinner and the hole was a lot larger than it should have been. it would have been easy to patch up but we just replaced it since we had a complete parts truck.

Quick Reply: cab swap