1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door Hinge Pin Fiasco.....

Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 PM
pjohnson0818
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Hinge Pin Fiasco.....

So check this out....I have a 1984 D150 2wd, driver's side door was sagging and not shutting good so I went to buy door pins and bushings from the local parts house. Told the parts guy my specs and it said I needed Dorman part # 38386. Took them home pulled the top hinge apart and the bushing was .060 to big, I got online checked the part # with several different store and all of them said I need part # 38386.....So at this point I'm pretty stumped and don't know what to do. Then for giggles I check into the part# 38386 and it said it fits 1984-02, I typed in 1983 instead and it showed the picture of the hinge pin bushings I needed Dorman Part #38382. Took this kit home and it fit perfect for the top hinge. Took apart the bottom hinge and there was NO bushings. At first I thought they just disintegrated but after looking there was never bushings in the bottom hinge. The new pin was a perfect fit without the bushing and the bushing was way to big to be pressed into the bottom hinge. I have never seen a hinge set up that didn't have bushings in the top and bottom AND the wrong year part fits. Thought I would post in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

yup. i ran into the same issue with my 81 years ago. they include the bushing just in case it is wore out but usually they don't seem to wear out. i replaced the pin only also and it tightened things right up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Hinge Pin Fiasco.....