1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1985 d250 ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 PM
emcbron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 d250 ignition system

Hey all,

So I'm working rewiring my d250. It's my first project like this and I've gotten a little mucked down in the ignition system.

As far as I can tell there isn't any type of ignition control module or anything. I initially mistakenly identified the voltage regulator as the ignition module. There is something small below the distributor cap that is connected to the capacitor(?). Could that be it? I can't really identify it and I'm no expert on this. Also there doesn't seem to be the correct amount of wirescoming from the distributor. Other that what is coming from the cap there is only one wirecoming out and it is connected to the coil. I could rewire it but all the diagram I can find have usually 3 wires coming from the distributor. Other info: it has a starter relay that was completely disconnected and a 4 prong ballast resistor. Those shouldn't be hard to figure out though if I can figure out the ignition module/distributor.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

can you post some pics of under the hood. a 85 shouldn't have a 4 wire ballast resister. it should only have a 2 wire resister. it should have a 4 wire ignition module as long as it didn't have the lean burn ignition system
this is how the ignition system on your truck should be wired if it is stock

Old 07-07-2018, 09:39 PM
emcbron

I've seen that diagram. The things I'm not really sure about is why doesn't my distributor have the right wires coming out of it. I guess I was also a little hesitant to completely redo it. I was trying to figure out what was in there first but I can't. Also how would the starter relay play into this?

Here are some pics:

Pic inside distributor. The only wire coming from it goes to the negative side of the coil.

Voltage regulator that I've pulled(initially thought it was the ignition module till I looked at it closely.

What was connected to the regulator. Green goes to the alternator, red goes to ignition switch and either the battery or the starter relay(I think) I think it also loops back to the alternator but I can't remember right this second.

This red wire was also connected to the regulator like it was grounding or something. I don;t have any clue what it is or what it's going to.

The ballast resistor. I've replaced it and plugged it back in the way it was. Its clearly wrong but I left it just for reference. The fat yellow wire goes to the ignition switch. The skinny yellow wire goes to the positive side of the coil.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:42 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

talk about blast from the past. that is a points distributor. it definitely did not come on your truck from the factory. it almost looks like someone fixed your truck with whatever they had sitting around. the black wire should hook to the negative side of the coil. it looks like only 1 side of the ballast resister is used so you could have probably replaced it with a 2 terminal ballast which is what should have been on your truck from the factory. unfortunately i don't think there would be any cheap way to fix things if you pretty much have to replace everything in the ignition system. you can buy a HEI distributor. i think might require spending a some money on parts but still likely a bit cheaper than replacing the entire ignition system/wiring and it is super simpler to wire. you hook 2 wires right to the coil and power the coil and the engine should run.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ready-To-Ru...cAAOSwLopaqrYN

running a ground wire from the engine block to the voltage regulator is not a bad thing since you want the voltage regulator well ground to keep it working properly.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Why put GM parts in(HEI)? Get a pertronix ignitor! Nothing else to buy and simple wiring. Or go to your local junk yard and remove the distributor and ignition module/wiring out any mopar V8 made in the 70's and into the 80's. It's what the diagram crazzywolfie posted in post #2 is for. They also made one for a 4 terminal ballast and since you already have it look for that one.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 AM
emcbron

Man that makes so much sense as to why I was so confused. So if I were to get the hei distributor how would I wire the rest of the system? Or the other option would be to replace everything right? Including the distributor?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

The 4 terminal ballasts are not needed with the new ignition modules. The new 5 pin ignition modules are usually a 4 pin ignition module with the 5th pin there just for looks.

you will need to replace the distributor either way so minus well go with an all in 1 distributor. You can look up ignition kits for a small block mopar but most of the time you are looking at about $150 and up for a complete ignition setup. You can also buy a 1 wire distributor like the ones they use on gm vehicles but you sometimes have to massage the firewall to make them for but they can usually be found for under $100

Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 PM
emcbron

Aight thanks for the help

Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Or buy the Pertronix Ignitor (1381A ) for $75 put it the distributor you have and be done.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...view/year/1971

Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM
emcbron

Ok if I go for that route what would the wiring look like? I wouldn’t need any other parts other than what is already in there?

Quick Reply: 1985 d250 ignition system