1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 W250 Cylinder Head Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM
elkvis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 W250 Cylinder Head Removal

I am trying to remove the driver-side cylinder head on my 5.9, and it simply won't come off. I've removed all of the head bolts, the intake manifold, the accessories and their large aluminum bracket, and the exhaust manifold (more on that later), but it just won't come off the engine. Are there any hidden bolts on these things, that I might not be seeing? I pried on it with my 36" Stanley pry bar, and it moved enough to drain a bit more coolant, but it actually bent my pry bar, and won't let go of the block. I started the project with a plan to replace the exhaust manifolds with stainless headers, but the rearmost 3 bolts on the driver side broke. Since it's impossible to get a drill in that area, the head has to come off. If I can't get the head off with the engine in the vehicle, I'll have to pull the whole engine, but I'd prefer not to, if I have a choice. Since the seal on the head gasket has now been broken, it has to come off, one way or another, if I ever expect to run it again.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

It may just be stuck on the dowel pins..... there is on at each end of the head. If there was still a bolt in there, I wouldn't think it would move at all...... may have to wiggle it loose.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

X2 Don't pry it up to far in one spot or it will likely stick on the dowel pins. Pry it up enough (1/8") and see if you get a thin chisel between the head and block. Then pry up on the back and the front at the same time. The dowel pins are located at the upper left and the lower right standing next to the driver side fender.

Quick Reply: 93 W250 Cylinder Head Removal