1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1987 parts truck for lojos w150

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM
D@D88w150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 parts truck for lojos w150

hi everyone got a parts truck for daughters 88 w150 .was given to me said engine was blown .nope . put carb kit in it and fresh gas started right up!!!went back to genteleman that gave to me said well trannys bad then .nope changed fluid goes right down road !!! nows the question I have wihile in two wheel drive makes a clicking noise .switch to 4 wheel no soud but doest go in 4 wheel .checked vacuum hoses all shot and melted pulled the splitter apart on front axle and moved over manually still the same. im thinking wheel axle bearing or 4 wheel axle bearing out .pulled tire off and brake caliper off and retaining ring but coudnt get axle nut to break loose.im thinking noise is coming from internal axle something .any ideas would b great

Old 07-30-2018, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Automatic are manual front hubs? Or, no hubs at all??

Old 07-30-2018, 10:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you need a special socket to remove the axle nuts on the front of these things. i think you need a 33mm and the special socket or that is what i ordered when i went to replace the universal joint and ball joints on my 89. have you check the universal joints? with the caliper off you should likely be able to feel if it there is slop in the bearings as apposed to when the caliper is on and you would see the slop in ball joints and tie rods.
this is thee special tool. your local parts store might have one or be able to get one but around me nothing is cheap
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1269/overview/

Old 07-31-2018, 01:56 PM
D@D88w150

thanks for fast response . first its automatatic hubs but the vacuum hoses were shot so opened up the splitter on front axle and moved the fork both ways and still the same . yes I looked at universal joints look to b ok not sure until I get it back up in the air .and yes thanks for the link for special socket. gonna need a set for the daughters w150 anyway lol. yes looks to have a lot of slop with caliper off.sorry didn't let u know what vehicle it is . 1987 w250 4x4 long bed with the 360 in it.long story short I don't know if im gonna use this truck as parts or not ! its really in darn good shape for not been driven since 2001!thanks again for the info and everything ill let everyone know how it all pans out .thanks again!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

It's been parked for 17 YEARS???????? I bet the grease in the automatic hubs has turned to rock....... I would be truly impressed if they actually worked right....... Might just take 'em off, clean them REALLY well, re-grease 'em, and see if it helps.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i could be wrong but i think the automatic hubs just have a solid gear clipped into the end and work like the 2nd gen axles with the actuator to lock the axles together when slid over. i know that is how my 89 is but with these trucks you do have the option to pull the solid gears out and install manual locking hubs if wanted. i think my 89 sat for 10 year and things looked pretty good when i took it apart other than a blown universal. the park brake even worked which is nearly unheard of since it is so poorly designed on the 150's/ramchargers

Old 08-01-2018, 01:53 PM
D@D88w150

yea pretty remarkable been sitting that long . was a farmers "gentlemens pickup " that he would tow behind his tractor to go to different fields in the area. new tidbit on truck why it was parked. he was towing and something in the pickup front end locked up and threw the truck and tractor in ditch. this new story came from one of his hired men that actually has a memory still lol. so I think I might b on right path so many varables lol. I will b updating in near future on this one! for a free parts truck I can not go wrong though! runs drives with a little tlc might just have me another good old mopar! thanks again for the feed back will keep updated.

Quick Reply: 1987 parts truck for lojos w150