1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1974 dodge power wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 PM
Crazytrucker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 dodge power wagon

hey guys I’m brand new to the forum. Just bought a 74 power wagon today ... need to drop the transfer case to most likely change the shift forks. I have linkage ,all driveshaft and speedo cable removed and both the big bolts on the passenger side of the case broke free. I went to break free the two on the top of the case on the drivers side and there is this bracket that acts as a lock. I can’t remove the bolts till the bracket is gone and I can’t remove the bracket till the bolts are out. Idk if this is the case with all the dodge t-cases but if anyone knows how to remove this plz do tell . e Thanks

Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Unbend the tab that goes over the bolt. Big screwdriver will do it.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Crazytrucker

Awesome thank you . Do you know what that bracket is for ? Should I put it back on when I install the case ?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just to keep the bolts from backing out. That would kinda suck. Put it back in, and when the bolts are properly tight, use a punch and a hammer to bend the tab back against the bolt head.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Crazytrucker

Ok I see , thank you very much . On another note now, the ball and spring above the shift rod on the drivers side has a lot of wear on the ball . 2 different places on the ball that have worn down to being flat as well as the edge on one of the grooves on the shift rail is worn to about a 45° instead of a clean 90° . The problem I’m having is that the stick can float through all the gears but won’t stay in any ... all gears are there tho . Could that cause my problem? Or should I still open it up and check out the shift fork ?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Isn't there a rooster-comb in there, with a ball and spring to hold things in the correct position??? Can you post a pic of what you are talking about?

Quick Reply: 1974 dodge power wagon