1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My motor is NUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM
70-K5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My motor is NUTS!

Long story short: Father-in-Law gifted me his 1991 C&C, was old work truck but sitting up at his shop since 2009. He drove it once around 2012 but ran really rough so he hasn't touched it since then.
I looked at it about 2 years ago but couldn't bring it home or work on it then, I went back yesterday to take a closer look and some Jack-Hole stole the distributor... combined with the family of squirrels that took up home in the engine compartment make for a bad situation...

Brother-in-Law said just vacuum it out, stab a new dizzy in and you'll be fine. Part of me thinks this is is the case, but I don't know anything about MOPAR or the LA engines.

My plan is to hit up a junkyard and pick up a new dizzy for $30, vacuum the engine bay out, try to get some new fuel in it, replace battery cables that are missing and try to start it up.

I have read that there is a specific method to setting the distributor timing, with the throttle body fuel injection the pulses have to be timed to the distributor and the computer controls all the advance? I've timed SBC motors and know the method of setting TDC,

Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Not exactly sure when the dizzy changed but i think it was 89. The pickup coil is different than the early LA style so make sure you get the right one. 89-91 should work. Then you need to find the compression stroke of #1 cylinder(front left sitting in it) After you get it there at TDC you can align the dizzy to #1 and put it in.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

88-91 distributor are the same as long as it is TBI. you can also look at dakota's and ram vans. both should have the same distributor. vacuuming it out and stabbing the distributor might work. you either get them in close or 180* off and you will know pretty quick. you usually see gas spray out of the TB if it is 180* off. there is also a good chance you may need a fuel pump if it has been sitting that long.

Quick Reply: My motor is NUTS!