1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power to manual steering conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Kyleh2486
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power to manual steering conversion

I have a 1987 D100. Looking at making it a simple, easy truck. I want to remove the power steering and replace it with manual steering. Does anyone know what is entailed?

I’d ASSUME you can buy a manual box and steering column from a manual and it will bolt right in.

I can’t seem to find anything during my searches. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyleh2486
I have a 1987 D100. Looking at making it a simple, easy truck. I want to remove the power steering and replace it with manual steering. Does anyone know what is entailed?

I’d ASSUME you can buy a manual box and steering column from a manual and it will bolt right in.

Lmc has a gearbox, not sure what's involved. I was looking into also, but got my pump to work on my Magnum swap.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

I hope you are fairly young, and have VERY strong arms....... There is a reason these trucks have power steering...... so far as I know, manual steering wasn't even an option......

Old 05-31-2022, 06:43 AM
smelanson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyleh2486

Did you ever and up doing this conversation? I was curious how it turned out.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:24 AM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I would imagine since the dodge steering box is chevy-sourced, that a chevy pickup manual steering box could fit. I had a chevy with manual steering for several years and enjoyed it.

The pitman arm may be tricky (smaller spline) and steering shaft length/spline is probably different.

Quick Reply: Power to manual steering conversion