1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 w100

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 AM
gibbswrecker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 w100

I just bought a 4x4 89 regular cab shortbed says 100 on the side badge but has a 5.2 in it. Guy said it had a bad head gasket but I can't find it to have a issue. He has so much mickey mouse things ziptied and electrical taped together I think he was tired of messing with it and had to tell the wife that so he could short sell it. but my question is the vin say it should be efi and it has a holley 4 barrel on it prolly 650 because its a single feed but when I put it in gear and go to press the gas if it tries to die the pedal jumps and it accelerates. Also what transmission should it be Ive been told 727 or possibly 42rh

Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Carb swap was popular with the efi trucks. I put an Edelbrock 650 avs2 carb on my 91 when I did the 360 Magnum swap. My opinion, that's too much carb for a stock 318. I used three carb calculators on Google to see what size carb would work best on my engine build, and all three gave me the same results. Unless it's a race engine with maximum efficiency it really doesn't need a big carb. I called Edelbrock and told them setup, and they suggested a 800 cfm for my build, I laughed and said the cam is only good for 6,000 rpm. I was after the low end torque. Then he said the 650 was a good choice for that. But it might be ok. I'd check the timing with a timing light, change fuel filter if it has one, and what kind of fuel pump is it running?? Stock efi pump is way way too much for the carb. What kind of ignition is it using, Stock Mopar electronic? Msd?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

most people when they start having issues swap to carb. sometimes if solves the issue and sometimes it doesn't depending on what the issue is. post picks of the horn and the numbers on it. the single fuel inlet makes me thing either 390 or 600cfm. as long as it has vacuum secondaries i think you should be good even if it was a 650. my 81 ran pretty good with a 670 holley street avenger on a 318. i tried a 390cfm holley and it felt sluggish compared to the 670 even tho the math says a 390 should be perfect for a 318. being a 89 it likely has a 727 but was the first year for the overdrive transmission. you should be able to contact dodge to get a build sheet since it is just new enough but it may or may not be correct with all things

Old 06-07-2019, 12:16 PM
gibbswrecker

Ok so I got it running and she leaking oil out front the oil pan timing cover.. and she smokes so I am thinking about changing the motor out I was thinking of doing a 360 magnum but putting a carb and intake on it instead of dealing with the efi harness and such. because I can't find a wiring diagram to show me what wires on this truck were for the efi it had on it and who ever did the switch to carb didn't just bundle together out the way. But I want it to be a fun truck and pull my boat and maybe a sled once in a blue moon if the occasion arises. Send me down the right path as to what you would do if you were to be in that situation. I own a body shop and everything is available to me thru salvage yards and tools so no biggie with that stuff just don't know what heart to put in her

Old 06-07-2019, 10:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if your going to pull the engine minus well find a 46RH to bolt to the 360 magnum. if you could find the parts to keep the 360 fuel injected that would make it even better in my opinion but the harness is always tricky to find since it was only a 2 year option for the 318 and 1 year for the 360.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 AM
gibbswrecker

only 1 year for what the 360 and 46rh together? Im down to leave the fuel injection in and I can get the harness with it one of my local yards said he would just cut the whole front off since he hasn't sold nothing off the truck in awhile so I could pull what I needed. but its a 99 so it probably has a 46re. I want to be in cheap but powerful

Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

1 year the 360 had mpfi in a first gen. the 318 had it for 2 years. it is a bit nice fuel injection than the TBI that was used before it. you can possibly find a 46rh in vehicles from 90-95

Old 06-09-2019, 12:57 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just happen to luck out on the reman trans I got from AutoZone, it came non locking. I really didn't want to mess with the locking TC. I might go with the mpfi after I get this thing the way I want it. But then again I might not lol. I'm really toying with the idea of punching it 60 over keeping the stock stroke, finding a duel quad intake from the LA and having it drilled for the Magnum intake, changing the cam to a higher rpm. Dropping the CR, and putting a supercharger on it. But I might go with a big block and do the same lol. Too many possibilities. I might go big block, so I can drive it while I'm building it.

The only problem keeping the mpfi for the obd1 is the lack of ECU programming if your gonna build up the 360.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

locking tc is easy to deal with. mpfi is nice in stock form but get expensive if you want to start modding it. also i don't see any point running dual quads on a small block. looks cool but way simpler and cheaper to just 1 4 barrel intake/carb or TBI setup for it.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Kahless
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always get a 2nd Gen 5.9 Magnum and trans with the wiring and comp and swap that in. The wiring for those can be made to run on it's own, it's super easy to do. It basically needs 3 wires hooked up. Power, ignition, and ground.

You'll also need to add a switch to turn overdrive off, which is minimal.

Then you just need to add the 1st gen factory temp sensor and oil pressure sensor and be done with it. If you want to get fancy you can wire the check engine light wire to the light on the dash of the 1st gen.

Quick Reply: 1989 w100