1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission swap 89 D100

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 AM
RedRam100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an older picture. The truck was in a flood from Hurricane Florence last year. We went through and had to rewire the majority of it. We put the accessories off of a 99 Truck with the serpentine drive on it and had to trim the compressor to fit because of the water neck. That housing is off of a 55 Chevrolet 6 cylinder. I am sure a ton of it is not done the way you guys do it. I do not claim to be a mechanic. It’s the first Dodge I have ever worked on. Dodge vehicles look similar to the Chevys we own but so many things are different. For example the charging was an obstacle. I figured you could just do a one wire conversion. I ended up buying a voltage regulator and putting it back on the passenger side. I am sure there are plenty of chuckles to be had at my expense. I don’t mind I am a good sport.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:55 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you try a magnum thermostat housing? pretty sure they made it longer on purpose to clear the a/c compressor

Originally Posted by Moparite
You must mean the frankensteied upper radiator hose!
that is definitely the biggest safety concern i would be worried about but there are many other things i see which would likely need to be addressed before i would ever considered taking that thing on a roadtrip

Old 06-06-2019, 09:38 PM
RedRam100

The intake took a larger diameter thermostat housing than the magnum. The housing is in a different location than stock. It is positioned under the AC pump. It’s s centered unlike the magnum intake that is offset to one side. I believe the intake is a carbon copy of a small block Chevy RPM air gap that is on one of our engines. That housing is reverse offset too with the hose exiting farther back than a straight water neck.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:42 PM
RedRam100

I meant to add. We took a carbide bit on a die grinder and cut the left rear mounting boss off of the AC compressor to create a little clearance. The housing had a 3/8 plug in it for a temp sender above the thermostat and we cut it with the carbide bit as well. Those intakes do not lend themselves to LA or magnum accessories in stock form.

Quick Reply: Transmission swap 89 D100