1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differences in 46RH

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Differences in 46RH

What's the difference from a 3 wire plug in, and a 2 wire plug in?? Both are overdrive units. Is it for the OD?? If so I'll just get a non locking TC. I don't plan on using the OD, this is just a toy. It won't see anything but mostly City or town driving. Definitely no interstates. And prolly a little drag strip usage.
i think I used my 42rh for a core lol. The original trans had the reinforcing ribs on the main housing. My reman does not and looks bigger in the main housing area. And it also has the notch in the bell housing for a Magnum crank sensor. But the TC has the offset bolt pattern for the LA cross type flex plate. I'll try my slip yolk on the output shaft if it fits, I'll use it. Like I said I'll just get a non lockup TC with the Magnum bolt pattern and stick it in behind the 360 Magnum. 46 will handle more torque from what I read about the trans. Number and letter meaning. 4 is the gears, 6 is the torque rating, R is for rear wheel drive, and the H is for how the trans is controlled.

Last edited by rebeltaz83; 03-01-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

After hours of Google searches the 2 wire is a non lock up unit. My slip yolk fit, it's got the notch for a 29 or a 30 spline. I ordered my non lock up converter with the 90 degree pattern. Once it comes in, it's go time. After reading that Dodge put the 46RH in the diesels, and the v10 trucks it should handle my 360 Magnum build just fine (fingers crossed). And after more research I'm 99 percent certain that after I eliminated all the computer controlled components my lock up converter wasn't locking and ultimately just burnt the clutches out of it along with toasting the trans. In very short order. I guess next on the list will a be a locker for the rear diff.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

So far as I know, the 46 version never came behind the diesel, or the V-10. Gas V-8's only, regardless of weight class. The 10, and diesels have a different bolt pattern for the bellhousing, so, you will find 47 or 48R? transmissions behind them.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So far as I know, the 46 version never came behind the diesel, or the V-10. Gas V-8's only, regardless of weight class. The 10, and diesels have a different bolt pattern for the bellhousing, so, you will find 47 or 48R? transmissions behind them.
Oh, must have been transmission swaps then, I read a few threads about the 46RH bring put behind the diesel with non lock up torque converters....... It was a diesel forum........... I dunno lol. I also read it was put behind the v10. Who knows, the internet holds so much misguided info. It's hard to believe anything anymore. Maybe they were gas trucks, but I don't why they would be on a diesel forum. It's where I first read about the 2pin connector for OD, and a non locking TC. I thought the v10 was designed on the same block design as the 318/360 and shared the same bell housing?? No?? Read it on allpar.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Where can I get the two bigger shift linkage bushings?? The ones that hold the shaft that goes from the frame, to the trans housing. It's about a 7/16" shaft. I have some universal wiper arm bushings but they are too small. I can't find them anywhere. The ones I got from summit are the smaller ones that hold the rods in place.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Doesn't doorman offer then in their 'help' line? Check the racks at your local parts store.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Doesn't doorman offer then in their 'help' line? Check the racks at your local parts store.
Those are the ones I got from summit. But I'll check the other stores.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 PM
RedRam100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read your thread because I am doing a very similar build. I am going to do the same tranny swap too. The 360 magnum with a carb ate the stock transmission. I didn’t have the throttle mechanism working properly either. I want to end up with a truck that is a cruiser but Maybe make a few passes at the drag strip. The 360 magnum I have has a tiny camshaft in it that doesn’t need a stall converter so I think the 46rh in have lined up to use will be perfect. This truck has super tall highway gears. I am guessing 2.73 or so. What gear are planning on using? I wondered if a later model 4x4 trucks are the same? If they are I might be able to hit a pull a part and score a complete rear end for cheap. Was a posi traction rear end common in anything that would have one in it?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

That's a tall gear. I'm planning on 4.10s with a locker very soon, this open diff is hell on the right rear tire. I got a cam for the bottom end 258/268 Duration with .501/.524 lift, 112 lsa, it was meant for a LA with the 1.5 ratio rockers, not the Magnum with the 1.6 ratio rockers but it's all good. All I was after was the bottom end torque, and I got it lol. I went with a 2400 stall and it was a good choice. I'm not running the OD with my build, just no point for my use of the truck. I don't have the kickdown linkage hooked up, I'm shifting it manually. My Magnum is 20 over bore, stock stroke, eq monster Magnum heads w/2.02 intakes, running 11.4:1 cr. I had the block decked. I got a 160* Edelbrock high flow t-stat, hedman headers all 3" pipe with a x-pipe. Yeah I know the pipe is big, but it runs wide open throttle most of the time, all or nothing lol. Like I said, it's no cruiser. Edelbrock air-gap duel plane intake with the Edelbrock avs2 650cfm carb. It's a tire smoker, I gotta really watch it to take off without smoking the tire. Allot easier said than done lol.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

wider tires lol. 3.23 gears are common for trucks without overdrive. 3.55 gears are common for trucks with overdrive and 4.10 gears are commonly found in heavy duty work trucks or offroad truck packages which i don't think were really even offer till 2nd gens. the 46RH definitely makes a huge difference to torque while making getting decent fuel mileage. i got a LSD and the one in my 93 has scared me a few times but when you stomp on the gas and have the back end start going sideways at highway speeds. some days i wouldn't have minded if it was a open diff but then there are a lot of days when i go to do a burnout in the elcamino and get a 1 wheel peel and wish i had a LSD lol. i do got 1 spare tire for the day it needs to be replaced lol

Quick Reply: Differences in 46RH