1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission / Neutral safety switch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM
slam
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Transmission / Neutral safety switch question

In the process of working on my recently purchased 1985 D150 360/auto.

What transmission options could my truck have had and how do I determine what transmission I have? It is automatic. Also no indication of a trans dipstick / where to check or fill anywhere under the hood?

How do I bypass the neutral safety switch / or get the neutral safety switch to work off a universal 4 position ignition cylinder? Does it just turn on/off with ignition power? I am rewiring the entire vehicle myself as the mix of old original wiring and the rats nest wire nut job by the previous owner I decided to rip everything out and start from square one doing it all myself. New universal starter solenoid, ignition switch / cylinder, modern style fuse panel under hood, switchboard in truck, relays for headlights, everything crimped / heat shrinked / etc. with 10g wire. Any help as far as the neutral safety switch would be appreciated.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:08 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trans. Dip stick is on the passenger side of the engine, back against the firewall. Must be checked at operating temp IN NEUTRAL. Do not check it in park, it's also how you fill it highly recommend a funnel. I'll let others comment on the neutral safety switch, but I will tell you it's on the driver's side next to the shift linkage, 3 wire if I'm not mistaken...... The starter should have it's own solenoid, just have to run a wire from "start" on the ignition switch to the starter, I would put in relay though. I just rewired my 91.......... Well unwired it lol. Got rid of everything to do with the ECU, and the tbi, and the abs and wired in a fuse box for the fusable links, tossed in a single wire 100amp alternator and wired it direct to the battery. Good luck, take your time.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM
slam

Thank you for the reply found the dipstick was just looking in the wrong area.

The following users liked this post:
rebeltaz83 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:21 PM
slam

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
Trans. Dip stick is on the passenger side of the engine, back against the firewall. Must be checked at operating temp IN NEUTRAL. Do not check it in park, it's also how you fill it highly recommend a funnel. I'll let others comment on the neutral safety switch, but I will tell you it's on the driver's side next to the shift linkage, 3 wire if I'm not mistaken...... The starter should have it's own solenoid, just have to run a wire from "start" on the ignition switch to the starter, I would put in relay though. I just rewired my 91.......... Well unwired it lol. Got rid of everything to do with the ECU, and the tbi, and the abs and wired in a fuse box for the fusable links, tossed in a single wire 100amp alternator and wired it direct to the battery. Good luck, take your time.
Do you mind sharing what alternator you used? In the same process with my 85. Have all the old wires out. Cleaned grounds and wired up an ignition system to a new Doorman universal ignition switch with new keys so at the very least the trucks starts and runs correctly and I have a platform to start with. Bought a new modern style fuse panel off Amazon, some relays, universal turn signal, a small switchboard, etc. Plan on having all the necessary functions but with new wires and not using any of the original switches and am interested in the 100 amp single wire.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slam
Do you mind sharing what alternator you used? In the same process with my 85. Have all the old wires out. Cleaned grounds and wired up an ignition system to a new Doorman universal ignition switch with new keys so at the very least the trucks starts and runs correctly and I have a platform to start with. Bought a new modern style fuse panel off Amazon, some relays, universal turn signal, a small switchboard, etc. Plan on having all the necessary functions but with new wires and not using any of the original switches and am interested in the 100 amp single wire.

Thanks
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...er-square-back

Poke around on there, they will all bolt up just watch the pulley, some are single groove (non-A/C), and some are double groove (A/C applications) all you need is the wire to the battery, I went this way because the ecm controlled the alternator and without it being hooked up mine wouldn't charge.

Last edited by rebeltaz83; 09-23-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission / Neutral safety switch question