1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More wiring questions - Trans shift lock?? Floor shift conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 PM
slam
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb More wiring questions - Trans shift lock?? Floor shift conversion?

Pulled all of the original wiring out of my 85 D150. Rewiring everything from scratch. Got the starter and ignition system done with a new universal ignition with new keys that I will be mounting somewhere on the lower dash and not using the original key ignition. Only issue I am running into is that you cannot shift the transmission into or out of any gear unless the original key in the original ignition is in the "on" position. I previously made a post asking about the neutral safety switch as I thought this was my issue, but it is not. Even with all the original wiring torn out of the vehicle this still happens so I assume it is something mechanical with the ignition switch itself. If I were to remove the original ignition cylinder completely would I always be able to freely shift gears or would it always be locked? This leads me to my next question regarding just converting the truck to a floor shift. Has anyone done it on one of these trucks? How much was the conversion / how long did it take / etc.? Only reason I am asking is the issue with the ignition switch and the fact that the linkage has an absurd amount of play. Finding the correct gear is just a guess.

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance

slam

Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you may want to keep the ignition switch unless you don't mind people borrowing your truck and not returning it. ignition switch also locks the steering column as well as shifter to make it more difficult to steal a vehicle. these trucks are super easy to hotwire. only takes 1 jumper wire.

The following users liked this post:
rebeltaz83 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:14 PM
slam
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you may want to keep the ignition switch unless you don't mind people borrowing your truck and not returning it. ignition switch also locks the steering column as well as shifter to make it more difficult to steal a vehicle. these trucks are super easy to hotwire. only takes 1 jumper wire.
Well the mechanism that should lock the steering wheel no longer works as the wheel turns freely without the key the only part working is the gear selector requiring key in on position which is the part I don't want to work. I am putting a hidden kill switch and will have a steering wheel lock but to be honest if someone wants a car bad enough no security system will stop them.

Still curious about anyone doing the floor shift conversion. I see that B&M sells a floor shift conversion kit on eBay for $199, curious if it is any good.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2019, 06:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

B&M makes some good stuff.

I don't think the steering wheel locks were ever that good. The one in my 96 never locked. The one in the 98 kinda/sorta does, but, with the engine not running, it's a major effort to turn the wheel, so, I just don't know. I think you gotta turn 'em fairly far to get 'em to lock.

There is another thread in the van section of a member doing a floor shift conversion. Even has pics.... In a truck, I think the biggest problem would be, is there enough room to mount it, and still get the full travel of the shifter? If you have front buckets, and no center seat/console/whatever, probably work just fine.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the ignition locks on all my vehicles work just fine. personally i would either fix the steering lock or swap out the entire column for a manual transmission column if you go with floor shifter. if you are going to put in a kill switch put one in that grounds the negative side of the coil. anything else doesn't usually stop the engine from running when you power the ignition system from under the hood.

Quick Reply: More wiring questions - Trans shift lock?? Floor shift conversion?